Go team "Tube Feeding!" - Updated 12/29/2019

You're a genius, Kathy, thank you! I went vet / pharmacy hopping this afternoon. The largest I could get from a vet here was 14, but one of the pharmacists found me a size 16 in an old drawer. I just tried it and it worked a million times better than the 12. I think it will do the job nicely!

~Amanda
How's your goose?

-Kathy

From: http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/07_emergency_and_critical_care.pdf
FLUID THERAPY
Oral Administration
Oral administration is the ideal method of giving fluids. This method is more commonly used in mildly dehydrated birds or in conjunction with subcutaneous (SC) or intravenous (IV) therapy. Oral rehydration (30 ml/kg PO q 6-8 h) also may be used in larger birds (eg, waterfowl) that are difficult to restrain for parenteral fluid therapy.

Subcutaneous Administration
Subcutaneous fluid therapy is probably the most common
method of administration, although administration in very critical patients must be done judiciously. With experience, warm fluids can be given over the dorsum in very depressed birds without restraint or altering of the bird’s position within its incubator. Studies have shown that adding hyaluronidase to fluids (150 IU/L fluids) greatly facilitates the absorption of these fluids. Subcutaneous fluids are most commonly given in the intrascapular area, the flank, and the area over the pectoral muscles or the axilla. Maintaining fluids on a heating pad or in an incubator, so they are available at the correct temperature for emergencies, is important. Warm fluids are both an adjuvant treatment for hypothermia and less painful on administration. However, as in mammals, a severely debilitated or dehydrated bird will not absorb SC fluids.

The link also says this in bold "A sick or debilitated bird should always have its hydration corrected prior to attempting to initiate oral gavage-feeding."

This link also has good info on fluid therapy, everyone reading this thread should read it:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/15.pdf

Tube feeding baby bird food to a dehydrated or hypothermic bird can kill it! Same applies to mammals.

I use oxygen tubing. Works well but those 50cc plastic syringes don't work after about 6 feeds. The rubber plunger gets sticky & won't push the food through.

I use oxygen tubing. Works well but those 50cc plastic syringes don't work after about 6 feeds. The rubber plunger gets sticky & won't push the food through.
Welcome to BYC! I buy them buy the case and put mineral oil on the plunger when it gets sticky.

These are the cheapest we could find and they last much longer than the more expensive brands.
http://www.shopmedvet.com/product/syringe-60cc-catheter-tip-25-box-MV60CCCT/mvi-syringes-needles
20416_16013_large.jpg

Help | Tell a Friend | Printable Version
Med-Vet Syringes 60cc Catheter Tip 25/bx

Item#: MV60CCCT
Vendor: Oasis
Price:$9.99
Quantity:

Product Description:
Individual Soft Pack
  • Bold Graduation
    • ISO-9002, CE, FDA registered

Product Details:
NAME: SYRINGE,60CC,CATHETER TIP,25/BOX

-Kathy

How long will a bird tolerate having the tube? I know you can't leave that tube in very long but what if you have a small syringe (20ml) and need to disconnect it to suck up another syringe-ful before removing the tube?
I've never had to do this yet, but am getting supplies together in case I do.
I was wondering, if the bird is not passing many droppings or if you suspect egg binding, is it safe to still syringe feed? Is there a limit? Is there reason to worry that what you feed will block up in the bird?
The lafebervet link was good with the videos. The quickest way for me to learn is to see it done, then try to replicate.

Back
Top Bottom