Goat breathing heavy and clumsy

I do have activated charcoal but I don’t know if that’s the problem. Her back legs are just spread out and she can barely walk. And when she lays down she almost rolled over trying to get up. I can’t even get them to go up for the night because she can’t get there

And she’s urinated like four times in the past hour. Which seems very weird. She had a urinary tract infection about a year and a half ago but with that she was having a hard time paying and there was blood in it. This all looks normal it’s just afternoon short along with the other symptoms

Poor girl. Until the vet can get out there to see her, I would try giving her a variety of things. I realize not the best solution, but the best one can do when not sure what's going on. Unfortunately, her leg weakness/issue could point to a number of a different conditions. Definitely give her vitamins (particularly B vitamins) and some sort of energy boost (karo syrup, nutridrench, etc.). Yes, she could be walking like that as well due to a urinary infection. You could start antibiotics if that's something you suspect. That will also cover any other infection that could possibly be the culprit of her problems.

I have a friend whose goat displayed this kind of behavior with entero - her stance in particular. Have you listened to her rumen? I'd check her FAMACHA asap. And I would consider giving penicillin, just in case it's bacterial in nature. Goats can go down so fast...

And a great forum for help with goats is The Goat Spot. It's almost as active as BYC.

of course she hast to start feeling this way Saturday night on an holiday weekend. But that’s how that works right?
ALWAYS!! 😣 I can't tell you how many times we've had animal emergencies on weekends, late evenings, or holidays in the last two years!

Come to think of it, my goat had been coughing for years (and the vets couldn't tell us why) before his heart finally gave out. So maybe your goat doesn't have a heart issue. I hope she gets better with vitamins etc.!

Back
Top Bottom