Goat House/Pen Ideas

goats rule 101

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 22, 2013
Minnesota
Hi goat and chicken lovers! I would like to build a new goat house but am stumped for ideas. The ideal house would need to house 2-3 fainting goats, be easy to clean, and be nice and warm for winter. Our pen is 25ft. By 25ft. Also if anyone has any good duck house ideas that'd be gladly apreciated! For the goat house something small and simple would be nice. Pictures of your own are welcome! Thanks!!! -Hannah :pop :p :)

I am just subbing cause I am interested in goat houses too. I am planning on getting a couple of goats in the spring and I am hoping I can turn the underside of my 6x12 deck into the goat house.

This is what I have to work with. The duck pen will be taken down and then a new one will be put up around the entire place for the goats but the ducks will go here too. Anyone know what I sort of shelter i can build that will fit here without taking up too much space. I have ducks and chickens too so maybe a biggish one where they all could go together but still be able to get away from eachother. Like with three seperate parts for each. Does anyone have something similar that can fit here? The pen will be between both sheds and its for fainting goats so does anyone have an idea on how tall it should be. Thanks again! -Hannah H

We are thinking of goats too. All we have is a barn in dire need of restoration and a couple random buildings that also need replacing. I'd like to see other peoples goat set up. Interested in Nigerian Dwarf dairy and possibly angoras.

This has a lot of good information, and it's printable.
http://www.admani.com/Goat/Goat Guide 2011.pdf

All they really need is a place to stay dry and to get out of the cold wind. If it were me, I would build a simple run-in type shed that has a north wall and a second wall on whichever side the wind is most likely to blow from - where we live it is the west. I would leave the south and other side open, and would make the shed shallow enough that sunlight can touch the ground all the way to the back wall. Exposure to sunlight will help keep the barn "clean" by killing a lot of the harmful bacteria that inevitably collect in a barn. Ventilation is important, and there is no sense in crouching around inside the shed so it just as well be tall enough for you to comfortably walk under. This will help keep it cooler in the summer months as well since a low roof will trap summer time heat close to the animals and make conditions in the shed miserable.

Back
Top Bottom