Do you have goats?

• Total voters
Pics
Pygmy / dwarf cross. Another little girl

Attachments

• 20230330_120543.jpg
    20230330_120543.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 3
I have 2 does and a buck. All Nigerian Dwarf. I've owned them for 3 years but still consider myself a newbie to goats. I'm pretty sure my youngest doe is pregnant. Probably due in early May sometime. My concern is that my buck has been NONSTOP running both does all over the place. They get no rest or respite. I don't really have an ideal way to separate Peter (my buck) from the herd. I'm kind of concerned he will cause my pregnant doe to abort because of his constant nagging at her.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I have 2 does and a buck. All Nigerian Dwarf. I've owned them for 3 years but still consider myself a newbie to goats. I'm pretty sure my youngest doe is pregnant. Probably due in early May sometime. My concern is that my buck has been NONSTOP running both does all over the place. They get no rest or respite. I don't really have an ideal way to separate Peter (my buck) from the herd. I'm kind of concerned he will cause my pregnant doe to abort because of his constant nagging at her.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Can you separate him within the pen? Something like fence panels and a doghouse? I have 3 bucks with their own pen now, but starting out I kept one buck with those chain link fence panels and some type of shelter…you’ll definitely want him separate once the does kid, otherwise he’ll breed her back too early and she won’t have enough recovery time

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Pig or cattle panels with t-posts can be used to put up a quick fence. Just make sure you secure the ends together well. Then maybe a doghouse or calf hut for shelter.

For the long term, you'll need to come up with a separate area for him and a buddy to keep him company. He shouldn't be kept with a doe close to kidding because the hormones are similar to those given off during heat and he may harass her even more. Also, he can't be kept with the kids. Some bucks can also be aggressive with kids so he could hurt/kill them or he will try to breed them during their first heat, which can be as early as 3 months. That would be very dangerous for the doelings.

Can you separate him within the pen? Something like fence panels and a doghouse? I have 3 bucks with their own pen now, but starting out I kept one buck with those chain link fence panels and some type of shelter…you’ll definitely want him separate once the does kid, otherwise he’ll breed her back too early and she won’t have enough recovery time
I have an empty chicken run (10 ft x 8 ft) that I could put him in. No shelter big enough for him since he can't fit through the chicken door. I'll have to bring in a dog house. Is that a big enough pen for him? How long should I keep him penned?

When my pregnant doe gets a little closer to her due date, I was going to move her into a birthing stall in the barn for several weeks

I have an empty chicken run (10 ft x 8 ft) that I could put him in. No shelter big enough for him since he can't fit through the chicken door. I'll have to bring in a dog house. Is that a big enough pen for him? How long should I keep him penned?

When my pregnant doe gets a little closer to her due date, I was going to move her into a birthing stall in the barn for several weeks
That should be big enough for a temporary pen at least…you will generally want to keep him separated from the does during most of the year, except for breeding season and possibly the first 2 months of pregnancy.

Back
Top Bottom