Do you have goats?

• Total voters
Pics
Today we got our third goat! She's a Nubian-Nigerian Dwarf cross, and she was the smallest of her siblings. Her name is Violet, and she's very playful and cuddly, and loves her stuffed rabbit. She's only four days old and is absolutely tiny. It's our first time bottle-feeding a goat, and it's going well so far. I'll have to post some pictures soon, because she's adorable- a tiny white doeling with black patches and brown speckles. All of the other pets seem fine with her, too. The older goats ignore her, the chickens were a bit curious, she didn't go near the cow pen, and she followed our cats around for a bit.

Violet with her stuffed rabbit.jpg
Here's a picture of Violet in her pen!

I saw someone recommended getting goats without horns and I'm going to have to play devils advocate. We have too many predators here and I hate the idea of leaving these cute little things defenseless out in my woods. They have horns for a reason. Also If you live in a particularly warm area it's a horrible idea to debud since they use them to regulate body temperature.

I saw someone recommended getting goats without horns and I'm going to have to play devils advocate. We have too many predators here and I hate the idea of leaving these cute little things defenseless out in my woods. They have horns for a reason. Also If you live in a particularly warm area it's a horrible idea to debud since they use them to regulate body temperature.
Good point, I didn’t think of that with my original post! I don’t have a lot of predators in my area, just coyotes, and my goats all come inside to the barn and 6’ fence at night. They are very much pets, and I milk and show them, so no horns is really beneficial for my herd. 🙂

All of our goats have horns, which we prefer. I'm not saying we'll never have some without horns, but we prefer them with horns, for the very reason you stated.
Here is a picture of two of our Nigerian dairy goats.
IMG_0372.JPG

Back
Top Bottom