Do you have goats?

• Total voters
Pics
So cute!!!
Thanks, I am super excited to have them! They are hilarious 😂.

Chevy is learning to come to me! He let's me pet him very much like a dog as long as I have some sort of food in my hand!! He will take 1 manna pro goat treat out of my fingers. He will do the same with leaves.

Ford is skittish but I can touch him sometimes.
He will come to me if I have the right kinda weed in my hand. He'll even rest his legs on mine when I hold it higher. But if I try to touch him, he jumps and runs away 99% of the time.

Dodge is still learning. He just started ta
Eating weeds that I am holding. I don't really try to touch him yet. It took him a bit to even come get the weeds.

Question....
We are planning in expanding the goat area. But up till recently the pig was in that area. I threw a bunch of seeds out the other day to see if we can grow it up....BUT
..I am wondering do I need to be worried abt them being in the area bc the pig was there....are there diseases I should be worried abt.

Pig got butchered end of May, and we wouldn't even put them on that side till fall at the earliest.

I just wanna check bc I do NOT want them to get sick.

Also, is this appropriate wormer??
The boys are abt 3-3.5m old...ill never be able to weigh them but they are somewhere between 25 and 50lb....so do I use a middose??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230607_221041_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230607_221041_Chrome.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 0

Chevy is learning to come to me! He let's me pet him very much like a dog as long as I have some sort of food in my hand!! He will take 1 manna pro goat treat out of my fingers. He will do the same with leaves.

He will come to me if I have the right kinda weed in my hand. He'll even rest his legs on mine when I hold it higher. But if I try to touch him, he jumps and runs away 99% of the time.

Eating weeds that I am holding. I don't really try to touch him yet. It took him a bit to even come get the weeds.

Question....
We are planning in expanding the goat area. But up till recently the pig was in that area. I threw a bunch of seeds out the other day to see if we can grow it up....BUT
..I am wondering do I need to be worried abt them being in the area bc the pig was there....are there diseases I should be worried abt.

Pig got butchered end of May, and we wouldn't even put them on that side till fall at the earliest.

That’s adorable!!

I have a question for people who are more experienced with goats. We have two 1-year-old Saanen-Alpine does with massive horns, who weigh at least 100 pounds each. We also recently got a tiny doeling, Violet, who is mostly Nigerian Dwarf, but one of her great-grandparents was a Nubian. She's six weeks old now. Her mother apparently weighed about 75 pounds, and her father weighed only 30 pounds. She was also the runt of triplets (Though she's in good health) and her siblings were at least twice her size. She does have horns, but they're small, of course, and she's just a little bigger than our cat. Also, our setup is a bit odd- we have a small pen and a few stalls in our barn that our goats usually get to roam in, but they also have a huge pasture with an electric fence when we are able to supervise them. (One of them likes to crawl through the electric fence and getting zapped only makes her hurry even more) So, we're wondering when we should introduce Violet to her big sisters, and how to do so. She is currently sleeping in the the stall adjacent to one of the other goat stalls, and we take her walks around the property, but we'd like her to spend most of her time with the other girls. We'd also like to minimize bullying, because we don't want her to get injured. Thanks.

I have a question for people who are more experienced with goats. We have two 1-year-old Saanen-Alpine does with massive horns, who weigh at least 100 pounds each. We also recently got a tiny doeling, Violet, who is mostly Nigerian Dwarf, but one of her great-grandparents was a Nubian. She's six weeks old now. Her mother apparently weighed about 75 pounds, and her father weighed only 30 pounds. She was also the runt of triplets (Though she's in good health) and her siblings were at least twice her size. She does have horns, but they're small, of course, and she's just a little bigger than our cat. Also, our setup is a bit odd- we have a small pen and a few stalls in our barn that our goats usually get to roam in, but they also have a huge pasture with an electric fence when we are able to supervise them. (One of them likes to crawl through the electric fence and getting zapped only makes her hurry even more) So, we're wondering when we should introduce Violet to her big sisters, and how to do so. She is currently sleeping in the the stall adjacent to one of the other goat stalls, and we take her walks around the property, but we'd like her to spend most of her time with the other girls. We'd also like to minimize bullying, because we don't want her to get injured. Thanks.
I’m new to goats (so definitely not an expert by far) but have you done a “look but no touch” introduction like with birds? Bean is my smallest animal and she is in the pasture with her 2 half-brothers, 2 Juliana pigs, 2 mini zebu, and a llama. A portable electric poultry netting is a good thing to have around for introducing new animals and might also help with training your escape-artist 🤔

I posted this on my fb goat groups but they were very unhelpful 😂

Does anyone have any ideas for National Dairy Goat Awareness Week? It’s tomorrow through next Saturday, I wanted to do something fun on my farm page to celebrate, but I have no idea what to do 😅 Unfortunately I work all week, so in person activities aren’t an option 😔
I thought about maybe doing a goat spotlight each day of the week? And maybe temporarily changing my profile pic and cover photo to something that says Dairy Goat Awareness Week? That’s seriously all I can think of 😅

Question....

Google is giving me mixed answers, but if you’re not using it until fall I think you should be ok 🙂
Also, is this appropriate wormer??
The boys are abt 3-3.5m old...ill never be able to weigh them but they are somewhere between 25 and 50lb....so do I use a middose??
That dewormer is so-so in my experience; my herd is entirely resistant to it so I don’t use it, but it’s going to depend on your area. If I remember correctly it only treat roundworms? I’ve used Dumor Pelleted Dewormer (fed to goats individually) with good results, the only problem is that kids that young may not eat it.

Goats are a bit different from other livestock in that they don’t need wormed on a set schedule, as that will cause them to become immune to dewormers very quickly. If your goats aren’t showing any symptoms I would hold off on deworming them unless you’re having issues, I like to keep an eye on FAMACHA scores and body weight to determine when to worm them 🙂

Back
Top Bottom