Goatsitting, now owner refuses to get her goats, ignoring me

Raen

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2010
Missouri
Help!

Seriously, guys, this is stressing me out. This is kind of long, bear with me. I'm going to try to be as objective as possible here.

Three months ago I responded to an ad on Craigslist. A woman (I'll call her Sara) who lives about 45 minutes from my house was moving to a new place in the same area and needed someone to watch her 5 Pygora goats for the summer, a free lease. I was considering getting some goats of my own, but wasn't sure if I wanted to, so it seemed like a perfect thing to do. We did not have a contract, which, in retrospect, was very stupid. I know.

Sara brought the goats over, and was very nice and seemed fine. Not crazy or anything. The goats were nice, all was well. When she dropped them off, she said she'd come by the next weekend and shear them and clip their hooves, but she didn't and I didn't hear from her again for several weeks. She never did come by to do those things, despite a few e-mails from me asking her to and offering to help.

Then, about 5 weeks ago, one of them died suddenly. We aren't sure exactly what happened, she went from fine to dead in about 18 hours. In the morning she had diarrhea and didn't eat, but looked basically OK, and having had plenty of animals get diarrhea at one time or another I didn't think much of it. I was out of the house all day that day, and in the evening I checked on her and she still looked sick, but she was under the chicken coop (where they like to hang out, nothing unusual) and I couldn't really examine her. I e-mailed Sara to see what she thought, and she recommended I intubate her, which I didn't have the equipment or knowlege to do and it was after 8pm. But I went and got my neighbor, who is a vet-tech and also has sheep, and she had stuff to tube her, so we ran back to my house, where the goat had already died. Obviously, I was dismayed. I've had tons of animals in my care over the years, and no healthy animal has ever suddenly died on me, especially someone else's pet. This was terrible. I told Sara what had happened, and go no response. I apologized profusely, and got no response. A week goes by, and I gently ask what her long term plans are for the remaining goats; no response. I ask again. And again.

I can see that she's on-line, she's posting to facebook, and her light on g-mail is green. Finally, three weeks after the death, I say that I need her to come get the goats if she isn't going to talk to me. I get an immediate response: she hasn't been ignoring me, silly! Just busy. Fine, I say, but what are your plans for the goats? At which point she writes me about 2000 words on why I should purchase them for $300 each. No, I say, as gently as possible. She keeps trying. Again and again. I'm trying really hard to be nice at this point, and simply say that I don't see it working, but to make this easier on her, I can deliver the goats to her home or wherever she wants them. She refuses to take them. (I don't know where she lives, or I'd do it anyway. )

Fine, I say, but they need to be out of my yard in 3 weeks, please let me know when you'll be getting them. No response. That's been two weeks, and every few days, I ask again when she plans on getting the goats and I get ignored. Finally, today I e-mailed and told her that if she doesn't come get her goats, I'm going to give them to a rescue organization. I get an immediate response that she simply doesn't have anywhere to put them, and that I'm being unreasonable.

GAHHH!

I seriously don't know what to do. I'm not getting a lawyer over goats, it'd be cheaper to just buy the darn goats.

Advice? This is making me crazy.

I think I'd post an ad for two weeks running in the newspaper with her name, detailing the abandoned property and state that if the said property isn't claimed by suchandso date the items will be considered forfeited. Re-run it, send her the exact same wording via facebook, email, and then she has no recourse.

You are being far too kind. She has had plenty of warning. Contact her again 3 days before you take them to the rescue. Keep all of your emails as proof and let her know you will be .. for a timeline of events so that there are no repercussions.
thumbsup.gif

That's brilliant, ChooksChick. Did not occur to me. Thank you! I'm not sure what newspaper I should post it in, though...I'm not even sure what town she's living in now. I'll look into that.

Last edited:
The goats are yours! She was just as foolish to hand them over to you without any written & signed agreement. See if there is any statue of limitation regarding animal abandonment in your town or county, it is usually 90 days. Print & file all the communcations you have had with her & put those goats up for sale!

Wow. Talk about a good deal gone sour.

See if there is some way you can get her adress. Even if you have to follow her home or something slightly shady. If you can get her address at home or work, send a certified letter stating your terms. The main thing legally is that you must have acknowledgement that she KNOWS your intentions. If she fails to respond within the specified time frame, sell them, rehome them, whatever works for you.

I was going to say post about it on fb, but you don't want her to block you, so not such a good idea. Read back through her older posts though, and see if there's any clue as to where she moved.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Good advice!

Keep all correspondance on paper (print if you have to). Turn in to animal services (her and the goats). You may have enough correspondance already to show her forfeiture.

Back
Top Bottom