Gold Lace Wyandottes? Pullet or cockerel?

blondie55555

Chirping
Feb 14, 2023
First one (has #1 at bottom right) is 9 weeks old today, #2 is 8 weeks today. Thought I had these figured out but now I’m not sure. If you think cockerel, please tell me why. I know waddle comb is red, but I read Wyandottes can be tricky. Thank you IMG_7270.jpeg IMG_7275.jpeg IMG_7269.jpeg IMG_7276.jpeg IMG_7280.jpeg IMG_7281.jpeg IMG_7282.jpeg IMG_7286.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7271.jpeg
    IMG_7271.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
I’m thinking cockerel only because of the comb growth.I have a silver laced Wyandotte that is 15 weeks and her comb is much less developed and red.
Attached is a close up of her face from the other day.

Attachments

• IMG_5341.jpeg
    IMG_5341.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 12
I think #1 is a pullet. #2 is questionable, but I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be a pullet, too. Wyandotte females sometimes get big, colorful combs and wattles early. So if you cannot keep cockerels I would hold off for a while before rehoming these. Another 3 weeks and male specific feathering should start showing, and that will tell the tale one way or the other.

Thank you, I thought pullets but the wattles threw me off. These chicks are also smaller than the others. Would think cockerels should be larger at this age?

Back
Top Bottom