Golden Cuckoo Marans

Thanks so much for all your help! Once I looked them up, it did make sense that they were bielefelders because we did have a large influx of German immigrants here back in the day. The thing is that the Bielefelders are an auto-sexing breed, and in all the photos I saw of the little chicks, they were far more blonde. My guys were born black. In the photo below, the 2 on the right are the chicks in question; the one on the left is a Plymouth Rock female, I think. Still think they're Bielefelders? It's so odd that I have 8 new babies, and I am SURE I have some roos in the mix, but no one is crowing. They are 10 weeks old.
That does make it more intriguing! Interesting is that both your boys had the white spot on top of the head when they were little which is consistent with a male chick in an auto sexing breed. Not sure what to make of the darker coloring.😊

Thanks so much for all your help! Once I looked them up, it did make sense that they were bielefelders because we did have a large influx of German immigrants here back in the day. The thing is that the Bielefelders are an auto-sexing breed, and in all the photos I saw of the little chicks, they were far more blonde. My guys were born black. In the photo below, the 2 on the right are the chicks in question; the one on the left is a Plymouth Rock female, I think. Still think they're Bielefelders? It's so odd that I have 8 new babies, and I am SURE I have some roos in the mix, but no one is crowing. They are 10 weeks old.
It’s for certain that they are Bielefelder roosters.

Though they look similar, those aren’t bielefelders.
Bielefelders have a pattern that is genetically barred gold duckwing (also known as crele). Your cockerels don’t have that pattern.

Here’s a picture of my bielefelder cockerel at the same age as your’s and then with his adult plumage-
A186444F-B188-4FB0-A939-CCB5C9E5E0E1.jpeg
B49FDCE8-3BED-4AF0-A1AE-E47E2CD3D5EF.jpeg

Notice how light his barring is. Purebred roosters of barred varieties almost always have two barring genes, making them appear lighter due to wider white bars on their feathers. This is especially true for bielefelders, since they’re autosexing. Your cockerels only have one barring gene, which is why they’re darker, like a barred rock hen.

This is a gold duckwing (also known as black breasted red) rooster without barring-
54CA9706-9461-49DB-81A5-F3722914CF5B.jpeg

His red coloration is only on his hackle feathers, shoulder, saddle, and wing triangle. Gold duckwing (and barred gold duckwing) roosters usually have a completely black chest.

Another identifiable part of the duckwing variety is the wing triangle. Here’s a picture of my bielefelder cockerel’s wing triangle when he was younger, then in his adult feathering-
1A6C6099-E228-42CE-837D-37D600DF2E9C.jpeg
04FC2094-E6EC-4A29-8BD4-4942BA0E235F.jpeg

Duckwing roosters, barred or not, show a wing triangle, which your cockerels don’t have.

They are mixed breeds, possibly barred rock mixes, but not purebred bielefelders.

Though they look similar, those aren’t bielefelders.
Bielefelders have a pattern that is genetically barred gold duckwing (also known as crele). Your cockerels don’t have that pattern.

Here’s a picture of my bielefelder cockerel at the same age as your’s and then with his adult plumage-
View attachment 2354936View attachment 2354937
Notice how light his barring is. Purebred roosters of barred varieties almost always have two barring genes, making them appear lighter due to wider white bars on their feathers. This is especially true for bielefelders, since they’re autosexing. Your cockerels only have one barring gene, which is why they’re darker, like a barred rock hen.

This is a gold duckwing (also known as black breasted red) rooster without barring-
View attachment 2354948
His red coloration is only on his hackle feathers, shoulder, saddle, and wing triangle. Gold duckwing (and barred gold duckwing) roosters usually have a completely black chest.

Another identifiable part of the duckwing variety is the wing triangle. Here’s a picture of my bielefelder cockerel’s wing triangle when he was younger, then in his adult feathering-
View attachment 2354957View attachment 2354958
Duckwing roosters, barred or not, show a wing triangle, which your cockerels don’t have.

They are mixed breeds, possibly barred rock mixes, but not purebred bielefelders.
Wow! Thank you so much for such a thorough response! I was beginning to think they were mixed breeds, which truly is neither here nor there for me. I love them just the same. They're beautiful, mild-mannered boys. I appreciate that you took the time to include photos. Very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom