Goldtop - boy or girl?

sandh72

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
We hatched 4 Goldtops (Light Sussex/Silkie cross) in early June. We specifically bought the eggs because we were told that they were sex linked and that from hatching the boys would be white and the girls honey coloured, so we were very pleased to hatch 1 white and 3 goldies (pic attached). Whitey-boy has gone to a new home and I'm now worried about one of the goldies who is exhibiting very boy-like looks and behaviour.

Can anyone tell me if this is a boy or a girl please? Pics taken this morning, so the hen's about 6 months old.

Many thanks in anticipation . . .
H&S

51864_dsc03658.jpg

51864_dscn2701.jpg

51864_dscn2706.jpg

51864_dscn2705.jpg

Quote:
x2

What exactly was the cross? There are lots of misinformed people on the subject of making sex-links...

Hi - we were told white silkie cockerel and light sussex hen. We had one hatch who was clearly a cockerel (the little white one in the first photo) but we simply assumed the goldie were all girls.

Is this one likely to be a rogue egg that got into the clutch by mistake, do you think? Is he a buff or partrige silkie (and what is the difference)?

He's not a full blooded Silkie.....wrong comb. I don't know about the color, as I am new to this. But I think he's cool looking.
smile.png

Quote:
Did you read the OP's post?
hmm.png

The OP's first sentence --
We hatched 4 Goldtops (Light Sussex/Silkie cross) in early June.

Chris​

Quote:
x2

What exactly was the cross? There are lots of misinformed people on the subject of making sex-links...

Hi - we were told white silkie cockerel and light sussex hen. We had one hatch who was clearly a cockerel (the little white one in the first photo) but we simply assumed the goldie were all girls.

Is this one likely to be a rogue egg that got into the clutch by mistake, do you think? Is he a buff or partrige silkie (and what is the difference)?

If I'm not mistaken to make a "true" Goldtops you would have to use a Red Silkie over a Light Sussex.
The Red Silkie over a Light Sussex should give you a Sex-Link.

Chris

Quote:
Did you read the OP's post?
hmm.png

The OP's first sentence --
We hatched 4 Goldtops (Light Sussex/Silkie cross) in early June.

Chris​

I did read the the OP, did you not read the whole thread? I was referring to this:

"Is this one likely to be a rogue egg that got into the clutch by mistake, do you think? Is he a buff or partrige silkie (and what is the difference)?"

I will use quotes next time to be sure everyone knows what I'm referring to....
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom