Gonna try again...

This is lucky the first hatched. No patterns on the back. Looks like black eyes, but seemed to glint red in the light when held a certain way
20190306_142027.jpg
20190306_142012.jpg

I didn’t even know there were more than 20 colours of coturnix. I’m going to see if I can list 20.

1. Texas A&M
2. Rosetta
3. Tibetan
4. Japanese
5. Italian
6. Golden Manchurian
7. Tuxedo

8. Pansy
9. Snowflake
10. Chocolate
11. German Pastel
12. Fairy
13. Pearl
14. Scarlet
15. SSC Silver
16. Celedon???

There are over 100 documented color gene mutations, so when you start combining them you actually get thousands of colors. Charcoal, lavender, pansy (different EU and US versions), cream, platinum, orange, roux dilute, albino, etc, just to name a few more. There are also multiple separate genes that cause silver-looking birds, white-looking birds, etc.

I actually just made a list of some reading material on a bunch of the genetics behind the colors if anyone is interested in learning more about them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ccs-big-list-of-coturnix-quail-studies.1295000/

Had a huge scare last night. Cat got the incubator flipped and had this one in it's out. The baby is still alive and some of the eggs got damaged from the fall. (Cat had been around for chicks and ducklings hatching with no issue.) Moved incubator into another room. So far 7 have hatched out. Will get pics when I get home. Saw at least one I recognized. A tuxedo

What a cutie! The same exact thing happened with me my very first hatch. Sneaky cat got in and flipped the incubator on top of only hatched baby so far. Walking heater of hubby snuggled her back to life and I was lucky to have three more chicks hatch (it was a small batch to start). I'm so glad your little dude is doing well! He's so fluffy! :love

White or white with markings, what I would call a German pastel red but people also call them cinnamon or scarlet, Tibetan tuxedo, pharoah/wild-type, italian-type or pearl, and maybe a roux or an autumn amber (Italian + roux)?

>.> I so hate my cat. I have no clue if it's because of her or what. All of them are gone. I started to loose them in small batches of one or 2 and then all gone in one night. Fed them game bird starter feed like with other before them. Water dish had stones so they wouldnt drown....

>.> I so hate my cat. I have no clue if it's because of her or what. All of them are gone. I started to loose them in small batches of one or 2 and then all gone in one night. Fed them game bird starter feed like with other before them. Water dish had stones so they wouldnt drown....
So sorry to hear this! :hugs

So sorry! :hugs ! Ive had rats get mine when i put em outside at less than a wk old is that a possiblity? My cats are killers too :rant

I'm so sorry, that is heartbreaking :hit You are having a run of the worst luck :hugs

Back
Top Bottom