Good Brooody Hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WinterChicks, Jan 22, 2015.

1. WinterChicks

WinterChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    I would <3 to raise chicks! I need some recomendations on good broody hens...I currently have a mixed banty rooster with a mixed lg bantam (maybe some bramha in him) and silver sebright.old english game and possible something elkse in them? Also Could the bantam rooster fertilize a standread Bramha?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Old English Game hens are probably the best; Silkies are usually very good. I had some Kraienkoppes that all were exceleent broodies and mothers, as advertised. Also very good are Malays, Shamos, Asils, and Madagascar Games. Basically, a breed that hasn't had its broodiness bred out of it, as the common hatchery birds mostly have.

3. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    Well my banty hens are mixed with Old English Game, Silver Sebright + Some puffy cheek breed and maybe more [​IMG]

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've had dozens of breeds over that past 50 years, and Silkies are the best brooders and mothers that I've ever seen. We had Black Silkies and they raised a number of broods for us.

5. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    Okay :)

Do ya think one or two Silki bantams would do the job??

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It depends on how many eggs you want incubated. You need to be sure that the Silkies are able to cover all the eggs underneath them, and since they are bantams, I would limit the number to about 8-10 eggs per hen (they will sit on larger numbers if you allow it but you will get a better hatch rate with less).

7. WinterChicks

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    Okay, thanks! I may have to look into getting Silkie's...in the future lol

I have my chickens, want to breed rabbits / getting rabbits and I think Peacocks are neat lol..I want a mini horse but I don't see my parents budging on that one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by