Good Brooody Hens

WinterChicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 7, 2015
Shawnee, Ohio
I would <3 to raise chicks! I need some recomendations on good broody hens...I currently have a mixed banty rooster with a mixed lg bantam (maybe some bramha in him) and silver sebright.old english game and possible something elkse in them? Also Could the bantam rooster fertilize a standread Bramha?

Old English Game hens are probably the best; Silkies are usually very good. I had some Kraienkoppes that all were exceleent broodies and mothers, as advertised. Also very good are Malays, Shamos, Asils, and Madagascar Games. Basically, a breed that hasn't had its broodiness bred out of it, as the common hatchery birds mostly have.

Old English Game hens are probably the best; Silkies are usually very good. I had some Kraienkoppes that all were exceleent broodies and mothers, as advertised. Also very good are Malays, Shamos, Asils, and Madagascar Games. Basically, a breed that hasn't had its broodiness bred out of it, as the common hatchery birds mostly have.
Well my banty hens are mixed with Old English Game, Silver Sebright + Some puffy cheek breed and maybe more
hu.gif

I've had dozens of breeds over that past 50 years, and Silkies are the best brooders and mothers that I've ever seen. We had Black Silkies and they raised a number of broods for us.

Okay :)

Do ya think one or two Silki bantams would do the job??

It depends on how many eggs you want incubated. You need to be sure that the Silkies are able to cover all the eggs underneath them, and since they are bantams, I would limit the number to about 8-10 eggs per hen (they will sit on larger numbers if you allow it but you will get a better hatch rate with less).

It depends on how many eggs you want incubated. You need to be sure that the Silkies are able to cover all the eggs underneath them, and since they are bantams, I would limit the number to about 8-10 eggs per hen (they will sit on larger numbers if you allow it but you will get a better hatch rate with less).
Okay, thanks! I may have to look into getting Silkie's...in the future lol

I have my chickens, want to breed rabbits / getting rabbits and I think Peacocks are neat lol..I want a mini horse but I don't see my parents budging on that one
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom