GOOD frozen food for a pregnant woman?

Ice cream?

Yeah, I know... go away.
hide.gif

Kashi makes some really good microwavable meals. They are full of natural goodness, grains, veggies and protein. The Kashi ones seem to have few ingredients that you can't pronounce. The downside is that they tend to be much more expensive than other frozen meals. Target often has them on offer. Another good one is the Zatarans cajun food, but they might be too spicy for someone in the early stages of pregnancy.

Just make sure you watch the sodium content, Deb. Lots of those frozen meals have VERY high levels of sodium.
If she's a fan of vegetables, there are a lot of options there that are very healthy. Green Giant has some really good steam in the bag vegetables-get the ones with endamami(sp). Really good and healthy.

Hubby works out of town 5 days a week so I make and pack 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches each week. Whatever I cook for dinner, I make extra and it goes in plastic lunch containers. That way I can control the salt and fat, and make sure they are healthy. Suggestions:
-pot roast with potatoes, carrots, peas, homemade bread
-baked chicken with sweet potato fries and green beans
-oriental stir fry (pork or chicken, oriental canned veggies, cashews, oriental orange sauce)
-spaghetti with chunky veggie sauce and meatballs, homemade garlic bread
-meatloaf with mashed potatoes and mixed veggies

etc.

So basically, every time you cook, put the leftovers in a plastic freezer container (I use the 2-compartment ones) and freeze. Then she can grab and go.

My breakfasts: I make blueberry muffins or french-toast-sticks with jam or oatmeal or things like that. Add a handful of dried fruit and some raw almonds. Sometimes scrambled eggs but they don't freeze real well.

I'm actually putting a pot roast in the crockpot now for tonight's dinner (he comes tonight). The leftovers will go with him next week! I already have (that I cooked this week) lentil soup, chili, and chicken burritos.

This is actually cheaper too.

Just my two cents!

Quote:
Not with Robert around! You better hope they all have girls, because Robert already eats you outta house and home, can you imagine having 3 more grandsons over for dinner!

Quote:
Oh I forgot all about those!!! I love their cheese enchildadas.

I just ate one of their cheese enchiladas before opening this thread!
lol.png

Yes, I agree the Amy's brand is really high quality.

Also there is a mixed vegetable and cheese sauce frozen dinner in a bag made by Green Giant (I am pretty sure) that is delicious. I THINK you can microwave it in the bag.

I also love Stouffers mac and cheese. Also Marie Callendar's fettucine alfredo and garlic bread.

I don't know what you have available over there, but a lot depends on whether she has any morning sickness. I went through a phase in early pregnancy when all I could face eating was frozen meals of sweet & sour chicken, anything else was making me sick

I'd ask her what sort of thing she has time to heat and what she would be able to enjoy and then look for nutritious versions of that.

Back
Top Bottom