Good grief! What a way to start the New Year!

Rusty Hills Farm

Crowing
16 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Up at the barn
Hopefully this is not an omen of what's coming the rest of this year!

Being a holiday and everybody's off, a group of us guys got together early this morning (just after sunrise in fact) to play with our dogs. We're nothing so formal as a dog club, just a bunch of guys with working dogs who get together to work their dogs. Anyhow, this morning was my turn in the suit. One of the dogs I've worked several times before so I KNOW he hits hard. His bite is not that strong but his initial hit can knock you over if you're not ready for it. Oh, and I was even wearing an EXTRA sleeve. So anyhow, I jump out from behind a tree with my bat in hand. He reacts the way he is supposed to. I brace for the hit and he hit me really hard....and I heard this very sharp CR-A-A-A-CK! He didn't even bite that well--too shallow--when the pain started shooting up my arm. Something must have showed in my face because his handler outed him immediately and walked him back to his crate. (Told me later that he even heard the crack! That's how loud it was.)

Meantime my SO helped me off with the double sleeve and helped me peel out of the suit. By this time the arm is really screaming but there wasn't a mark on the skin or anything. The dog just did NOT bite that hard. Anyhow, after much discussion I finally accepted a ride to the hospital. They x-rayed. The arm is definitely busted. The break is clean and "nondisplaced". So far they haven't casted it. They may not cast it, depending on whether it starts to knit right away.

Unbelievable. I have been doing this for more than 30 years and this is the first time I ever broke anything! Fortunately it stopped hurting the minute I got some Tylenol into me.

sigh.

Rusty
roll.png

As a person with 4 Brittany bird dogs, I know it only takes a second.

I have had: a bloody nose,
a black eye, run over and bit while feeding a treat (now use glove) and numerous other set-to's.

So, yes those active dogs can hurt you, without meaning to.

Glad to hear you were feeling better with some Tylenol.

Good day to relax and just take it easy.

DonnaBelle

Quote:
Well there's your problem.... old age is setting in! :LOL:

Ouch. You just had to say that, didn't you? It is EXACTLY what SO said on the way to the hospital! Well, 63 ain't THAT old! Which is exactly what I told him. He's 67 and still team roping so I don't think he's got any room to talk.

tongue2.gif

Rusty

Quote:
Yeah, they did. I did not know men can have osteoporosis! Got a referral for that from the er doc this morning. Ugh.

hmm.png

Rusty

edited to add: That's a great vid!

Last edited:
Good luck with the followup appointment. Have had several bone density scans related to all the steroids I take with my asthma. Feels like lying in a flatbed scanner. An MRI, on the other hand, is AWFUL!

Back
Top Bottom