Good price on welded wire fence

geosheets

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Ohio
I've been looking for a decent price on welded wire fence to build a new duck aviary. The only place I've been able to find what I was wanting was on the internet and the shipping costs(truck freight) was going to be 100-150.00. This morning I stopped in at my local True Value hardware store and happened to ask if they could get fencing even though they don't have any in the store. They gave me a price of $235.00 for a 100 foot roll of 1" x 2" mesh, 72" tall, 14 gauge, galvanized, welded wire fence. The price was as good as any I've found on the internet AND no shipping costs. It will be in next weekend with their normal delivery.

Last edited:
Very good for you! I think many of us forget to ask questions, especially at stores like that. True Value, Ace, and many local stores and feed-mills have a long history of customer service, and are happy to be able to do special orders. Unlike the big box stores with lots of room for "stuff" and impersonal employees, they will go out of their way to find what you need.

That's better than Ace....by about $40!!!
smile.png

Thats funny I happen to work at one of those big box stores and most peoples money is based on special order sales so i cant imagine them "hiding" as your referring to. I dont know which big box store your talking about but I know the one i work for takes great strides for customer service. So before we turn this thread into a junk locked thread know your facts before you talk bad about people or their business. Now back to the op thread that is a great price glad you found what you was needing hope your aviary turns out as good.

I'm happy to hear that your store offers such good service, it hasn't always been my experience, and that IS a fact.

I am still happy to support smaller local businesses, the larger stores serve their purposes, but keeping the little guy around too is a good thing to my mind.

Quote:
Lowes, Homedepot. They are all the same. I will stick to my local Ace store when I need special attention. The larger box stores just can't cut it when it comes to knowledge of home projects. It is what it is. I am sorry if I offended you, as well as what you do for a living.

Quote:
Their list price was right at 280.00... I told them what I had found it for on the internet and they matched it before I could even explain that I would have to pay shipping also. I was going to buy it for the 280.00 but... Now that I know there's enough markup on it that they can come down, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Tractor supply has the 2x4 welded wire fence galvanized for around $130/100 fot, 72" tall. Best to add a 24" tall barrier of chicken wire inside to keep birds from sticking their heads out and keep coons from grabbing them and pulling them thru the fence a piece at a time. Time you add in the chicken wire, you are at $170 or better.

I set and stretcned mine in a shallow trench 4"X4" and poured concrete in to lock the base to the ground. Then I put 4 courses of hot wire around it powered by a 5 mile fence charger of 4 KV.

I have had chickens snatched trough 1x2 welded wire. So I was thinking something smaller if they have the chance to be out at night.

Back
Top Bottom