• Rhode Island Red

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
I'm really leaning towards them.

That's a bit odd but as long as they grow up nice :)

It definitely sounds fun!! I think I actually saw that on the fairgrounds website when I was looking for dog shows last month hahah 

I also just connected you were from MA! xD thanks for the tip though, I'll definitely be sure to mention that :)

I'm south but we go up there a lot for skiing and stuff (though I didn't go skiing last year. we have been up there though) so we could stop by next time we go there maybe. Unless there's someplace closer? that's awesome though :)

You probably should consider them.

They may not be the best layers,but are extremely more better,and docile
then EEs.

And you should get a good few eggs from em.Buff orps are funny lil suckers.
Mines use to hurdle me aggressively,and growl as if I was a hen.
Odd,but still interested.

You probably should consider them.

They may not be the best layers,but are extremely more better,and docile
then EEs.

And you should get a good few eggs from em.Buff orps are funny lil suckers.
Mines use to hurdle me aggressively,and growl as if I was a hen.
Odd,but still interested.
I definitely will, they're right up at the top of my list right now :)

really?wow thats hilarious hahah

I would have voted for barred rocks, but we ended up with an "oops!" rooster. Our second barred rock is a girl and is delightful.

Last edited:
I'm really leaning towards them.

That's a bit odd but as long as they grow up nice :)

It definitely sounds fun!! I think I actually saw that on the fairgrounds website when I was looking for dog shows last month hahah

I also just connected you were from MA! xD thanks for the tip though, I'll definitely be sure to mention that :)

I'm south but we go up there a lot for skiing and stuff (though I didn't go skiing last year. we have been up there though) so we could stop by next time we go there maybe. Unless there's someplace closer? that's awesome though :)
I'm sure there is someplace closer to you. I am not familiar with anything south of the Mass Pike so I can't make any recommendations.
I have never been to a poultry show.
Apparently my breeds arent classified as "Show"birds.
sad.png
There is a reason why there are hundreds of breeds of chickens - a breed for everyone. Everyone has a different plan for their chickens. Some people want to preserve older breeds. Others want high producing egg layers. Some want pets with benefits. There is a place for all of them. We have some in all of those categories.

Even if you do not have APA breeds poultry shows are a lot of fun to attend. There often are a lot of breeds you normally wouldn't see. Breeder birds do tend to be significantly larger than their hatchery counterparts. Last year at the Congress I remember seeing lots of Marans, Langshans, Rocks, and silkies. Lots of silkies. Bantam Old English Games too. I don't remember buff Orps there, though I know I saw some at the Boston Poultry Expo in Oxford.

How good are EEs?
Ive had 2.layed like4_5 eggs for us,and our first hen laid ok,I guess.
I want some for bestest friends really.

I KNOW nothing on EE at all.My first hen was aggressive
so now im think I need to split new EE hens.

Ny experience,horrible layerz,and sort agreessive.
sad.png

EEs are good layers. Mine have typically given me 3-4 eggs per week; about the same as Orpingtons and Rocks, but not as good as sex links, Australorps, or RIRs.

How good are EEs?
Ive had 2.layed like4_5 eggs for us,and our first hen laid ok,I guess.
I want some for bestest friends really.

I KNOW nothing on EE at all.My first hen was aggressive
so now im think I need to split new EE hens.

Ny experience,horrible layerz,and sort agreessive.:(

I love both of my Easter eggers. They're both good layers. One sits on my shoulder for rides around the yard, but cannot easily be handled at all. The other is very snuggly when she wants to be and is easy to pick up.
I am my silver laced wyandotte's best friend but from what I've read that's unusual.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom