Good tips that you use to keep chickens cool in the summer when it is 100°

I tried a little wading pool for my 6 week-old dual purpose chicks. I filled a wide, long, shallow tub with 2" of water and threw a handful of fresh clover, grass, and their favorite garden greens in the middle. I didn't know chicks liked to play in the water so much... they not only figured out that they could cool themselves by wading in it (and drinking it too), but they also jumped in and started squawking at me every time I approached the run, hoping for more treats. I added a cup of ice to it every couple hours to cool it, but not enough to make it shockingly cold. Since they like to drink from it I emptied and refilled it often, and they seemed to enjoy a little ice in their regular waterer too. They loved their chilled watermelon but I try to only give it once per heat spell, I know I felt crappy as a kid after drinking tons of cold sugary drinks instead of water and then going out in the heat.

75 now. Feels almost 90, humidity at almost 100%. Dewpoint is 74+, which was the overnight low. Today's high should be 91, humidity is expected to drop to 76%, with a "feels like" of 104. Depending on when the TStorms roll in, Wednesday could have feels likes in the 110-118 range (just a tiny change in humidity makes a huge difference at 95F), they are currently forecasting "feels like 108" for the afternoon.

Plenty of shade. Natural is superior to artificial, but they have plenty of both. Dust bathing in the world's largest heat sink (the ear, a few inches down, is cooler than the surface by a good margin). Lots of fresh cool water to drink, very limited activity. Pray for a breeze - passive ventilation in both coops.

We can't add moisture, for obvious reasons.
How did everyone do through all that humidity? Thats crazy! You have a lot of chickens too, correct? Do they free range during the heat? Good Luck! 🐓❤️

How did everyone do through all that humidity? Thats crazy! You have a lot of chickens too, correct? Do they free range during the heat? Good Luck! 🐓❤️
They all did well - it's something I look for in my project birds. Yes they free range - but during the worst of the day, they all move to deep shade (or deep shade near a water bucket) and either dust bathe or nap in dust bathing pits.

In spite of lots of pop-up canopies, shady trees, raised gardens, Brite Tap Rubbermaid ice cubed waterers, slow sprinkler waterer, frozen and/or moisture-filled produce, etc etc etc, yet we still can't stop hens from deciding to lay eggs during the hottest part of heatwave days!!!

Pics of our canopied, verdant, and shady backyard for the hens
DSCN0445.JPG

DSCN1033.JPG

DSCN0287.JPG

DSCN6995.JPG

Canopy over a chicken sand-bath bed -- stays shady in summer and dry during rain
DSCN6827.JPG

Two years in a row during a humid July heatwave we lost one Dominique each year to heatstroke while laying an egg. This was our original trio of Dom chicks
DSCN8280.JPG

Our last Dominique at 5 yrs old now survives each year because she was never a good egg-layer and manages to escape egg-laying during our hot summers. She wisely lays a few eggs in the cooler Spring months, never goes broody, and waits until the next Spring before laying a few eggs again. She's also a hefty 7.5 lbs so I don't know how she's outlived the other two Dominiques that weighed a lot less. Guess it's because she's smart enough to avoid heatstroke by not laying eggs in summer?!
DSCN1047.JPG

We also have Silkies that will go broody at the drop of a dime at all times of the year but during hot and humid summers we keep the coop door shut so they can't brood and deteriorate sitting in an empty nestbox (we have no roos so we don't need broody hens of any kind). After being shut out of the coop during daylight hours the broody Silkies aren't too happy about it but at least they interact somewhat normally with the other hens and aren't deteriorating sitting idly in a nestbox during our hellish humid summers.
DSCN0347.JPG

It is 1:12 a.m. 81° feels like 89° as I take stylus in hand to write this.
I'm dreading the 100° temperature Sunday 6/12/22.
"I have to create and work with what I have on hand laying around the farm."
In Texas where I live, it is supposed to be 3° hotter than it was Saturday. I'm expecting the temperature humidity index to be more intense (115-119°) possibly. I will be checking on my birds every hour. Spread the chicken love. Add your experience (or ask questions) Thank you for tuning in.
I’m in S Texas. It’s a cool 98 degrees today, but last week was a killer. Heat index was 110.
I put a misting system up and several fans blowing on them It cooled the run about 10 degrees. Also put electrolytes in water and gave watermelon and cantaloupe.
Hens are only laying every other day mostly. I guess it’s harder for them in the heat. 🤷🏻‍♀️

We (meaning myself and the 10 girls) have a routine since the 100+ degree temps started a month ago. Coop is closed after they come out in the morning. Run is completely shaded. Two waterers with ice jugs in them and one waterer with electrolytes in it. They tend to drink that a lot. I keep 3 plastic tubs in there as wading pools. If it's really - hot like 103+ - they get frozen melon rinds, ice cubes filled with peas and carrots, electrolyte mash with ice cubes, or something like that. Frozen jugs of water are a favorite to lay next to or stand on. They were hatched in Cameron which isn't far from me so I know their line is probably pretty acclimated to heat. If I look out and they're walking around during the hottest part of the day I know they're doing fine. So spoiled! ❤❤❤❤

Back
Top Bottom