Goose behavioural question

ReddarkRiver

Hatching
Jun 26, 2019
I am trying to decide if I should get two females or a breading pair of brown chinese geese. Looking for any advice. I have a flock of 14 female domestic ducks. New to geese.

:welcome!

It depends on what you want them for :) Just want some geese as pets and don't want to deal with hormonal ganders during the breeding season? Then get two females. But of course if you want to breed them and have goslings, then you will need a gander.

Side note, you definitely want a breeding pair and not a 'breading' pair, unless you plan to cover them with flour and seasonings and eat them, haha :p Sorry, just had to tease about the typo.

It depends on what you want them for :) Just want some geese as pets and don't want to deal with hormonal ganders during the breeding season? Then get two females. But of course if you want to breed them and have goslings, then you will need a gander.

Side note, you definitely want a breeding pair and not a 'breading' pair, unless you plan to cover them with flour and seasonings and eat them, haha :p Sorry, just had to tease about the typo.

Too funny!!! Love it!!! Thank you so much. I actually havent decided on Brown Chinese, so I would love to hear your advice on that as well.
I have been enjoying my small flock of ducks for almost a year now. They eat better than I do. Except I get those yummy eggs. I have been on many farms now and I have fallen in love with geese as well, but I dont intend on having more than 2. I dont really need the guard goose as I have two Mastiffs that watch over things very well and lay with the flock. My male is 200 lbs.
So I am looking for a good temperament and more of a pet.
Again thank you and I really did laugh!
Take care

Too funny!!! Love it!!! Thank you so much. I actually havent decided on Brown Chinese, so I would love to hear your advice on that as well.
I have been enjoying my small flock of ducks for almost a year now. They eat better than I do. Except I get those yummy eggs. I have been on many farms now and I have fallen in love with geese as well, but I dont intend on having more than 2. I dont really need the guard goose as I have two Mastiffs that watch over things very well and lay with the flock. My male is 200 lbs.
Take care
Ps. I have no drakes because the mating is just too much for me. I am in this for the relaxing and the eggs. So if geese are like that then I will stick with the ladies.

Take care

Glad it made you laugh, haha!

For pets, you can't go wrong with a nice, docile breed. I personally raise Tufted Romans, which are very friendly and docile. People who breed Sebastopols also say they are very docile and friendly.

Chinese are known to be more high strung, so perhaps not the best choice for pets, but each goose has its own individual personality, so you never know.

Back
Top Bottom