Goose Blinded After Being Hit w/ Baseball Bat- news in my state!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
*harumph* I have nothing constructive to say. Just things that will get me in trouble. I am glad the goose is doing better.

Did Mr. Sissypants REALLY need to whack the 1/8 his size bird with a baseball bat???? What a lightweight...
rant.gif

I just hope he didn't muss his hair in the process.

Last edited:
Quote:
Look, I'd love to condemn the guy utterly. I really would. But I've been attacked by animals in the past. While I'd like to say I would try not to hurt the animal, the simple truth is in the heat of the moment, I'd probably just be trying to get it the heck away by any means possible.

Back in my first batch of chickens, I had a rooster. While I was in the pen, my niece came in, and the rooster flew at her in a rage with violence on his mind. It died mid leap, because I caught it by the head and swung it to wring it's neck. I've been in a position to kill a dog that was posing a threat. I'm sure I could have handled both situations without them ending with the death of the animal in question, but not, and this is important, not without greatly increasing the chances of harm to myself or someone else. In the case of the rooster, trying to grab it in a way that prevented hurting it would probably have resulted in it being able to reach my niece (age 3 at the time). Wasn't going to happen. And this was an animal I'd raised from an egg.

So would I crack the head of an attacking goose? Yeah, having been attacked by a goose in the past, I have to say I just might. My goal when attacked, whether it be by human or animal, is to stop the attack before I get hurt. A goose in full rage is capable of fracturing my arm, something sadly learned from experience.

Point taken, PF. However why not just walk away from the goose instead of going and getting a bat and coming back. That is just wrong.

Never mind the Migratory Waterfowl Act. Canada geese are protected.

I agree with both PF and TL-

I ahve been attacked by pitbulls (it had been raised for the bad thing). Myself and 2 Army Rangers were BARELY able to keep it off us long enough to get inside and call animal control.

In this case, the police say they have tape of him grabbing the bat, but not of the attack. That implies two seperate actions in two seperate locations. Looking at the security systems on the building, there is probably a big distance between the two.

Yes, you should defend yourself. NO- you should not "go after" an animal if you are not in immediate danger.

Quote:
A while ago, I left my house to go to a job interview, and stopped short. There, between me and the car, were several Canadian geese.

So...
Option 1: Call the job interview and reschedule, thereby likely costing myself the job opportunity
Option 2: Grab something to defend myself and try to get to the car unscathed.

In this particular instance, when I approached the geese, they decided they'd waddle off to do something else instead of remain where they were or attack. But, the situation could easily have ended up similar to the one in this article.

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind next time a raccoon or fox goes after my flock. Or even when a mouse goes after the feed pail.

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind next time a raccoon or fox goes after my flock. Or even when a mouse goes after the feed pail.

Ummm...do you REALLY think this goose was going to EAT this man? Sorry, just don't get the comparison.

Quote:

Ummm...do you REALLY think this goose was going to EAT this man? Sorry, just don't get the comparison.

Like I said previously, I've had my arm broken by a goose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom