Goose Egg HELP

Abundantly Blessed

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
HELP! I am currently incubating Embden geese eggs. My first batch is what I would refer to as an epic fail as I was left with five eggs and out of five four have died. One is left but it is day number 35. Yesterday I candled the remaining egg and there was movement within the shell. All goslings were completely formed with egg yolks not absorbed.... egg yolks was either starting to rot or was intact (not absorbed). Two eggs almost hatched, one internally piped then put its head back down and died, the other was in a bad position and could not raise its head. I've got a second batch started in another incubator (hovabator). Humidity here in the house is at 35%. Incubator is at 50% humidity and 100.5 degrees (still air). I read thru Pete's post, but everyone seems to have different recommendations for humidity and temp throughout incubation. Would really appreciate any tips! Are all geese the same humidity and temp requirement? These are embden geese eggs. Eggs have been rotated three times a day and cooled and misted once a day since day 12. Thanks for any help!

First, are these shipped eggs?

Second, no, I think different goose breeds may have different humidity requirements - @pete55's hatching guide addresses this aspect. Mine (I've hatched Chinese and Pilgrim) do better with a lower humidity, closer to 40%...but I also live in a humid region. Have your eggs' air cells grown appropriately during incubation or lost weight as needed?

Third, do you have an independent thermometer and hygrometer verifying the incubator's display readings?

Wishing you better luck with your next hatch.

First, are these shipped eggs?

Second, no, I think different goose breeds may have different humidity requirements - @pete55's hatching guide addresses this aspect. Mine (I've hatched Chinese and Pilgrim) do better with a lower humidity, closer to 40%...but I also live in a humid region. Have your eggs' air cells grown appropriately during incubation or lost weight as needed?

Third, do you have an independent thermometer and hygrometer verifying the incubator's display readings?

Wishing you better luck with your next hatch.
Nope, not shipped eggs. All the air cells grew very well. . I have however discovered that my incubator is a forced air incubator. I started them in a hovabator with no fan and then moved them to the new incubator which has two fans. I kept it at the same temp though..... I think that's where I went wrong. I lowered the temp down at the end during lockdown , but I think it was too late. Can a degree too high effect hatch rate?
I have verified the temp with two other thermometers.
Thanks for your help!

Thank you so much!
That resource was very helpful. I really think it was the temperature mistake. So....the big question is : how long do I wait for this last egg? I candled it yesterday at I could feel it moving in the egg. No shadow in the air cell yet. Today I candled the egg and there was no movement that I could see or feel. Day 35 -What are some signs of late embryo death? If you've got links to any other posts on here, I would appreciate it.... I'm new and trying to figure out the site! Thanks!

At day 35, I would carefully go into the egg to see what's happening. If it hasn't at least internally pipped by now, I'd be worried about late quitting. 😕

I use @Pyxis's guide when exploring an egg that may still be alive. I hope yours is just resting and still working on hatching!

At day 35, I would carefully go into the egg to see what's happening. If it hasn't at least internally pipped by now, I'd be worried about late quitting. 😕

I use @Pyxis's guide when exploring an egg that may still be alive. I hope yours is just resting and still working on hatching!
No internal pip yet. No shadowing can be seen through the air cell either.

20210419_172838.jpg

Back
Top Bottom