Goose Eggs - Photos - pg 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck I was glad to see how clean they were! I ordered some because they are Embens and I wanted to raise them but couldn't find eggs. I thought they looked great!

I don't have a STYRO BATOR I am using a sportsman and if the eggs are DRY there should be little risk of any disease bacterial or otherwise.

If disease were a problem then how do they do it in the wild???

Clearly FarmerKitty you haven't seen round bales in the farm yard. They are sterile from the sun, and only have issues near the bottom that hay looked great. My horses eat hay like that to the last straw. They are very healthy. There is such a thing as TOO CLEAN, when dealing with animals and children.

Hay or straw in a barn is more dirty than in the field hay because of mice and rat feces not to mention wild birds in the rafters. So field hay is cleaner. Dispite how it looks.

Arklady

Our geese never bathe when setting she moves around to poo and eat and goes right back and I have seen her set there for days with out getting off the nest during nasty weather. She tucks her head under her wing and endures. Her choice of nest area is near a shed with tons of leaves on the ground it is unprotected except from the wind.

I have never seen her bathe while being broody.

Arklady

Quote:
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I've seen more than my share of round bales!-check my signiture. I would never dream of packing anything in hay that had clearly been exposed to the elements and animals-look closer, there were even feathers. In round bales only the outside wrap is exposed to the sun. And yes you don't want to live life in a sterile environment but, when your packing something like eggs your trapping in the contamination and moisture. Not something that happens with the animals. Yes the geese maybe wet when they get on the eggs, but evaporation can occur because they are not boxed up.

I know when I had geese, I collected the eggs several times a day and they were not that dirty.
I also know when I've purchased them before, they may have had some dirt on them, but not nearly that much. Hope those weren't set on for a while and gotten rolled around by mom before being collected.
I hope they hatch if you put them in your bator.
Stacy

i'd try to incubate them and see if they develop.....at least give them a chance. I've incubated some chicken eggs that looked worse.
if it's muddy outside, my chickens don;t
clean their feet off on the mat before getting in the nest..doubt his geese do either

if the eggs don't start developing, THEN we'll hang him.

seem fair?

That's terrible MP. If you are shipping eggs, you should not send dirty ones. Yes, geese have dirty eggs, but not if you collect them when you should! They get dirty over time, they dont pop out covered in mud. I hope you actually hatch geese out of those eggs.
roll.png

Last edited:
It looks like you have the procdure correct.

I have about 30 goose eggs in my incubator at the moment. I clean/sanitize them before I put them in the incubator using the same egg cleaner I use to wash chicken eggs for customers.

I have seen goose nests. We had geese at our pond in Ga. I did expect some messy eggs - maybe mostly smeared marks from mud. I didn't expect sticky damp eggs. I don't now if the eggs were dry or damp when packed or if the dampness on 5 of them is from condensation due to temperature changes in shipment.

I am trying to give these eggs a chance to develop.

The eggs came unbroken. I paid for 6 with 2 extra and he sent 12.

It will be a long 30 days.

I will sent them tomorrow morning. In 10 days I will candle them.

And so we begin ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom