Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

What should I do if the duckling doesn't pip externally after making a safety hole. Three of my buff ducklings internally pipped yesterday and I put safety holes in them as we've had so many losses at this stage. I just didn't want to risk losing more. The shells are so hard. Its only day 26.

First time attempting to hatch ducklings. I have one Khaki Campbell of 7 that actually was viable and this is where I am on day 21...is this okay? I have seen no movement and no beak is visible...

There’s also what I assume is a little yolk visible too...

Attachments

• 4FF84345-9906-49CA-AFDA-29E21EB70666.jpeg
    4FF84345-9906-49CA-AFDA-29E21EB70666.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 71967061-0546-4D5E-8C07-3CEAE7DEDEC7.jpeg
    71967061-0546-4D5E-8C07-3CEAE7DEDEC7.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 6
First time incubating Toulouse goose eggs here. We're at day 31. 1 of 9 hatched last night. There's no signs of the other 8 having externally pipped. Before putting them in lockdown, the air sack looked good on all 9 eggs. They were put in lockdown at day 28. Should I perform external pipping for the remaining eggs? Will that shrinkwrap the goslings with the sudden dip in humidity? How can I tell if they've internally pipped? Thanks!

You'll have to candle them to see if they have pipped internally or not. Doing so will not hurt anything, since none are externally pipped. An internal pip would look like a triangular shadow in the air cell.

I moved the hatched one to the brooder and candled the rest. I could see movement in one as though maybe it had internally pipped. For the eggs, some air cells look much larger than others, but I'm unsure about a triangular shadow. I didn't see any movement from the other eggs. We're on day 32. Or day 32 ended rather since the countdown has reached 0.

Should the triangular shadow be pointed out towards the air cell or pointed in towards the gosling?

I just checked the 1 I saw movement in yesterday and could hear the click/tap noise which confirms it's internally pipped, correct?

At what point should I try to intervene with the others that don't seem to be internally pipped? Is there a point where I should intervene with the 1 that has internally pipped?

Thanks!

Last edited:
@Pyxis have you read the thread your on? Pete gives great info.

Yep, I have :) I always recommend new goose hatchers read this one.

I moved the hatched one to the brooder and candled the rest. I could see movement in one as though maybe it had internally pipped. For the eggs, some air cells look much larger than others, but I'm unsure about a triangular shadow. I didn't see any movement from the other eggs. We're on day 32. Or day 32 ended rather since the countdown has reached 0.

Should the triangular shadow be pointed out towards the air cell or pointed in towards the gosling?

I just checked the 1 I saw movement in yesterday and could hear the click/tap noise which confirms it's internally pipped, correct?

At what point should I try to intervene with the others that don't seem to be internally pipped? Is there a point where I should intervene with the 1 that has internally pipped?

Thanks!

I wrote an article about assisted hatching that should help you. It'll answer your questions and has pictures so you can see what you're looking for:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Back
Top Bottom