Goose mom

Strickrhonda

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2016
South Georgia
Hey! Just joined this forum. I got two female embden goslings this year. Daisy and Rosie.
they are about 5 months old now. They have free range of the backyard.

I walk them to the pond everyday to swim. They are afraid of the ducks. If a duck gets too close...poof! They both are gone back to the yard. My question is , as they get older will they get braver? They won't even go swimming unless I wade out in the water...when I get out they come running out and beat me back through the gate! Lol....

Hey! Just joined this forum. I got two female embden goslings this year. Daisy and Rosie. they are about 5 months old now. They have free range of the backyard.
I walk them to the pond everyday to swim. They are afraid of the ducks. If a duck gets too close...poof! They both are gone back to the yard. My question is , as they get older will they get braver? They won't even go swimming unless I wade out in the water...when I get out they come running out and beat me back through the gate! Lol....
They will probably get braver but do you live close to this pond so they can easily get home if a predator comes around? Also taking your geese around wild ducks etc is something you may want to reconsider since Avian influenza is carried by wild birds.[ Ducks].

Your 2 girls sure are pretty.
and Welcome to BYC @Strickrhonda

The ducks are not wild. I bought them two years ago from the same hatchery I got the geese this year. They are rouéns. They hear my voice and come running. They mock me when I laugh . The pond is part of our yard. Everything is fenced off. A fence with a gate separates the pond from the yard only when my Yorkie is out. My goofball Yorkie likes to swim and chase the ducks. During mating season I don't allow him access to the pond. A drake could drown him easily. The rest of the time the gate is open. My quackers prefer to sleep out on the pond. They have been doing that for a year and a half now. They slept in their house until they discovered the pond. After that I never have been able to coop them in at night. Now, my two girls decided they don't want to sleep in their house, instead they go into my greenhouse. ( geese are smart) it's also like a geese buffet to them..lol all my plants are either baby gated off or up high now. The geese have full access to the pond when they are out. The only time I have ever seen them walk through that gate to the pond is when they are following me out there. As soon as I wade out, they shoot out the pond and beat me back in the yard...

Thank you about my geese girls! I never thought I could get so attached to...geese!
2764.png
2764.png

This is Barney. A muskovey drake. Came home one afternoon last year and he was sitting in our front yard. ( we have noooo idea where he came from.) I opened the front gate, he waddled in....and made himself at home

Miss Lydia, thank you for the kind welcome! To answer your question , the pond is very close to the house, yard, pens. Sorry, had a blonde moment...
1f602.png

Miss Lydia, thank you for the kind welcome! To answer your question , the pond is very close to the house, yard, pens. Sorry, had a blonde moment...
1f602.png
I am in love with your place. and your flock too. great pictures. Looks like someone probably had 1 too many Muscovy drakes and decide you would be a good place to set him out. He is gorgeous.

Even though your geese are pretty large now I still think of them as babies. Just as a mama goose would take her 5 month old gosling s into the water I think they look to you as their mama so they feel safe when your in the water with them. Give them time they will be on the water by them selves and you'll be sad they have grown up. lol

The hilarious thing about Barney is he doesn't chase the girls like the drakes so during the spring and summer he is swimming right in the middle of the female Rouen flock...and the drakes are in their own huddle trying to figure out how he managed that...
Thanks! I love my feather friends. when mating season dwindles...like now... The rouéns regroup ( boys and girls) and Barney is the outcast....

Ducks are fun to watch!

The hilarious thing about Barney is he doesn't chase the girls like the drakes so during the spring and summer he is swimming right in the middle of the female Rouen flock...and the drakes are in their own huddle trying to figure out how he managed that...
Thanks! I love my feather friends. when mating season dwindles...like now... The rouéns regroup ( boys and girls) and Barney is the outcast....

Ducks are fun to watch!
They really are .

Back
Top Bottom