Goose Shenanigans

Pics
Well, this was my shenanigans, but Gus the Goose helped. On the first visit home to visit my family I took my city girl fiancée out to meet my beagles. She was somewhat afraid of them so in order to encourage her that they were okay - I went up to Gus the Goose and his mate and grabbed one of their goslings. Ran back towards the dog pens with the geese in hot pursuit screaming their heads off. The Princess decided that dogs were a better choice than geese and jumped into the dog pen. She still married me and 55 + years later is still here. Must have done the right thing.

Today I was dragging out some Christmas decorations and made the mistake of leaving them out where the geese could get to them.

We had a really pretty "Letters to Santa" mailbox that we set out front. While I was in the front clearing leaves and cleaning up the garden to put out these decorations, my geese were busy with their own holiday decorating.
I go back to the backyard to get some of these decorations and find 2 geese standing around the mailbox decoration, and at least 20 bulbs scattered all over the place. They had spent their time plucking the tiny Christmas light bulbs out of my festive mailbox!! :barnie
No letters going out to Santa from my house....
Chance and BB say "Bah Humbug!":rant

When I was pregnant my husband and dad put a rain gutter on the big coop. It feeds into a huge rain barrel so I don't have to haul water every morning. The rain barrel has a brass spigot at the bottom so I could use it as a tap for the fresh water. It took the geese approximately 3 days to figure out how to unscrew the brass spigot handle and stomp it into the mud (probably after pooping on it for good measure). It's lost forever.
I still use the water barrel every day but have to bail water using a bucket.

Well, this was my shenanigans, but Gus the Goose helped. On the first visit home to visit my family I took my city girl fiancée out to meet my beagles. She was somewhat afraid of them so in order to encourage her that they were okay - I went up to Gus the Goose and his mate and grabbed one of their goslings. Ran back towards the dog pens with the geese in hot pursuit screaming their heads off. The Princess decided that dogs were a better choice than geese and jumped into the dog pen. She still married me and 55 + years later is still here. Must have done the right thing.
:lau. She's afraid to leave! The geese will chase her down!:lau

The geese are gone. Gus was a human imprinted gander that I raised in my teens. When he was several years old I got a half dozen goslings. Within days he had adopted them and decided that he was more goose than human. One of the goslings became his eventual mate. My parents sold our home several years after the Princess and I got married. Gus and his mate were given to a farmer.

I had a pair of ganders one winter. When spring arrived, I realized they had destroyed a lot of my solar garden lamps. I found most on the bottom of the small pond, where they had been dismantled into several pieces, rods and all. One big lamp had been dragged to the pond and dropped. They hadn't been able to reach the string lights up the flagpole, so they'd just chewed the wire.

Back
Top Bottom