Goose Shenanigans

Well, this was my shenanigans, but Gus the Goose helped. On the first visit home to visit my family I took my city girl fiancée out to meet my beagles. She was somewhat afraid of them so in order to encourage her that they were okay - I went up to Gus the Goose and his mate and grabbed one of their goslings. Ran back towards the dog pens with the geese in hot pursuit screaming their heads off. The Princess decided that dogs were a better choice than geese and jumped into the dog pen. She still married me and 55 + years later is still here. Must have done the right thing.
Love this story, me and mine have been together for 21 years and I only just started with my birds. Hopefully in another 20 years or so I will have a compelling story like this.

Gussie and Golly are a two-goose wrecking crew, destroying everything from the solar lights that once marked the graves of my pet goats to chewing huge chunks out of the wood settee that used to decorate my deck.

Once, I had been out cleaning poultry coops and dishes, and decided to take a break. As I looked out the window, I realized Gussie had something yellow in her bill. I dashed outside because I am constantly having to grab things out of her mouth. Turns out, she had snagged one of my yellow rubber gloves and had taken a strong liking to it. I chased Gussie all over the yard before I managed to wrestle it away. Maybe she just wanted her house cleaned next?

Once fine summer one of my ganders Leo, then a two year old “he’s about 8 now” was out and about with his little flock behaving himself while I was busy around the yard, I went inside for 10 minutes and when I emerged I was met with the horrifying sight of seeing him completly drenched in blood.
Thoughts of my neighbor’s marauding dogs and other predators or even my untrustworthy neighbors taking a shot at him immediately lept to mind as I rushed to him, scooped him up and ran him to the house screaming to my mom “SOMEBODY SHOT LEO!”
With tears in my eyes I combed through the blood stained feathers coating his entire breast trying to determine the full extent of the damage and if at all I could save my poor baby.
With Leo in my lap burbling in bewildered indignation, my mom and I couldn’t find any injury, no torn flesh, no scratches or scrapes, not even missing feathers. The blood coating his entire front as I searched him wasn’t blood on inspection, but was a mysterious smudgy muck.
Later on I discovered the remains of a large red crayon used for tree marking which my dad had left out, lying on the ground chewed up. Leo’s droppings confirmed that he’d definitely been the one gobbling at it.

I’m my mind I can put together the most likely possibilities of what and how it all went down.
Leo upon discovering the amazing red crayon decided to taste it, liking it’s chewy smoosh waxy texture he gobbled it away, mashing it into his beak.
Once bored with it he decided to have a nice preen, but seeing the red smudge on his feathers which he inadvertently placed there as his beak was still coated in crayon he began a futile attempt to remove the spot with more preening all at the same time spreading the red spot wider and wider until he’d completly coated himself.

Once fine summer one of my ganders Leo, then a two year old “he’s about 8 now” was out and about with his little flock behaving himself while I was busy around the yard, I went inside for 10 minutes and when I emerged I was met with the horrifying sight of seeing him completly drenched in blood.
Thoughts of my neighbor’s marauding dogs and other predators or even my untrustworthy neighbors taking a shot at him immediately lept to mind as I rushed to him, scooped him up and ran him to the house screaming to my mom “SOMEBODY SHOT LEO!”
With tears in my eyes I combed through the blood stained feathers coating his entire breast trying to determine the full extent of the damage and if at all I could save my poor baby.
With Leo in my lap burbling in bewildered indignation, my mom and I couldn’t find any injury, no torn flesh, no scratches or scrapes, not even missing feathers. The blood coating his entire front as I searched him wasn’t blood on inspection, but was a mysterious smudgy muck.
Later on I discovered the remains of a large red crayon used for tree marking which my dad had left out, lying on the ground chewed up. Leo’s droppings confirmed that he’d definitely been the one gobbling at it.

I’m my mind I can put together the most likely possibilities of what and how it all went down.
Leo upon discovering the amazing red crayon decided to taste it, liking it’s chewy smoosh waxy texture he gobbled it away, mashing it into his beak.
Once bored with it he decided to have a nice preen, but seeing the red smudge on his feathers which he inadvertently placed there as his beak was still coated in crayon he began a futile attempt to remove the spot with more preening all at the same time spreading the red spot wider and wider until he’d completly coated himself.
:lau I had a similar experience with what I thought was an Australorp cockerel. When I went to count noses in the morning I realized he had blood streaks all around his neck. Since I had an older rooster, I was sure he had been attacked. I scooped him up and started inspection only to realize my Australorp had been crossed with one of my Rhode island Reds and was developing feathers. :lau What a relief that was! And what a beautiful bird he was.

:lau:gig What a shock that must have been!! Did you get pics?? How long did the crayon last?

Back
Top Bottom