tracy.lewis

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2018
I have a new pair of French Toulouse Goslings, about 1.5 weeks old. My male, Henry, has a large, hard lump on his right side close to his upper chest/lower neck. It feels like a cyst, but I’m not sure. He’s eating and drinking water. He’s not as active as his partner, Eloise. I’m going to the vet tomorrow but any suggestions on raising these guys is welcome. I have them together with 5 ducklings. They all get along, but I can already tell huge differences.

Also, should they be getting grit already? And what about fresh grass?

Thank you!

Attachments

• F14E3F69-2E51-41A7-B0E1-683B1BEB7398.jpeg
    F14E3F69-2E51-41A7-B0E1-683B1BEB7398.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 11
They can start to have fresh grass and other veggies when they are a few days old. Anytime you feed them grass or veggies they should have some sort of grit. I live in a sandy area so I just sprinkle some dirt/sand on the grass I feed to goslings instead of grit. Other kinds of grit are perfectly fine too as long as it is small enough for the goslings to eat. You can leave some grit in a small container so they have free access to the grit. Geese are vegetarians and love grass and veggies like lettuce and cabbage. Make sure if you give them grass to cut it up in small pieces for goslings. They may not eat new food at first without some encouragement. My goslings went crazy for lettuce and grass after they had a taste of it. I hope all goes well for you tomorrow at the vet.

Any update? You might want to separate the ducks and Geese when they feather out. I left them together and the gander imprinted on a duck and not the goose as his mate. I am working on it, but wish I had separated them before the gander realised he was a boy.

Back
Top Bottom