Goslings and ants do not mix.

88Haywood88

Songster
9 Years
Feb 13, 2010
Albuquerque
I learned this the hard way... I had three goslings. Their parents were great to them, they were free range. I lost two of them to ants. They both died the same way... the soldier ant latched on to their legs, and about five minutes later they died. I think there is another post like this from another lady in NM. Let me elaborate on the type of ant that killed them (to serve as a warning). They are black and red ants... not the kind that build the mounds, the other ones of the same size that do not make mounds. Fire ants are also dangerous because they seem to have a more poisonous bite, though I haven't lost anything to them. anyone else have anything like this happen/ how common is this?

I had this happen to me last year. I lost a little pomeranian gosling to ants. My stupid self set up their pen by an antbed and the little gosling got in it.
sad.png

I am so sorry for your loss.
Now I have decided to hatch duck eggs, so ducks can eat all those nasty ants!
Poor sweet goslings...

OMG! I had no idea something like this could happen. How old were your babies? I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting this...I'll be on the lookout for ants. If they don't build "hills" do they just live in the ground? How can you tell if they are around = what are the tell tale signs?

b.hromada :

I know that fireants can kill horses!!!
ep.gif
Nasty, nasty things they are. Sorry about your little one.
hugs.gif

Really!!!! That is a very scary thought!​

jojo@rolling acres farm :

OMG! I had no idea something like this could happen. How old were your babies? I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for posting this...I'll be on the lookout for ants. If they don't build "hills" do they just live in the ground? How can you tell if they are around = what are the tell tale signs?

The goslings were about three weeks old. The ant colony that kiled them lived under our driveway (have since poisoned them... using cornmeal, i swear it works). just look for holes in the ground that ants keep comming in and out of. i guess a tell tale sign is a lot of ant found in an area where there isn't food or any other reason for them to be there. Keep in mind, i'm talking about black and red ants... the larger ones, not the tiny "piss ants" or "sugar ants". and instead of hills, they seem to make burrows under hard surfaces like concrete and n hard soil as well.​

Last edited:
88Haywood88:

Thanks for the additional information. By posting and making the info available - I'm sure you've save someone else heartache. I'm so sorry this happened to your babies...I appreciate your time - thanks.

Back
Top Bottom