Goslings and baby ducks coming through mail but taking long them 3 days!!!

ptig78d

Songster
13 Years
Apr 28, 2008
Bucksport, ME
My goslings and baby ducks are being shipped through the mail from Cackle Hatchery by Priority 3 day mail.. Post office held order up and now they will not be here til day 4.. If they are alive what can I do to help them survive..I called the post office and was told that 3 days is not a guaranteed...I bought these for my husband as a fathers day gift.. Please help..
he.gif

hugs.gif
Eh. that is tough. I don't personally have any suggestions other then to check the hatcheries directions for guarantee policies. I hope the babies are alright but that sounds like a long trip. Some say to put some sugar in water for the first few hours as well for their first drink. Not sure on the amount of sugar though.

UPDATE: Waterfowl special out for delivery to local PO!
th.gif
I, Dave, woke up this morning and had two text message alerts from USPS tracking that said my package had been processed and departed the Hampden, ME sort facility this morning at 4:06AM! So, I should expect a call from my local PO anytime now! Yay!!
clap.gif
Way to speed things up, USPS! You have redeemed yourself in my books!

UPDATE: Waterfowl special out for delivery to local PO!
th.gif
I, Dave, woke up this morning and had two text message alerts from USPS tracking that said my package had been processed and departed the Hampden, ME sort facility this morning at 4:06AM! So, I should expect a call from my local PO anytime now! Yay!!
clap.gif
Way to speed things up, USPS! You have redeemed yourself in my books!
update??
caf.gif

UPDATE: I went and picked up the package from the local PO. All of the babies were alive!
th.gif
Augh, the stress is over! I haven't had the time to try to figure out the breeds yet as I've been nursing a duckling that seems to have a deformed foot/feet. It doesn't seem to be able to put any weight on it and I checked that leg to see if it might be broken. Hoping for the best!
fl.gif

Last edited:
UPDATE: I went and picked up the package from the local PO. All of the babies were alive!
th.gif
Augh, the stress is over! I haven't had the time to try to figure out the breeds yet as I've been nursing a duckling that seems to have a deformed foot/feet. It doesn't seem to be able to put any weight on it and I checked that leg to see if it might be broken. Hoping for the best!
fl.gif
Aww I hope it will be okay.
fl.gif

I got an email from Jeff at Cackle, and he said "
Hi and thanks for the contact. OH my yes, that is a severe deformity . I am very sorry this made it pass our pulling crew and shipping crew and to you. This is a rare occurrence with this type of deformity in ducks. The breed is Rouen duck. I will put in for a refund and thank you so much for bringing this to our attention… Most sincere apologizes and it would be best if you could put down the duckling. "

This is a sad thing, as my kids have been holding it and nursing it (hand-feed and assisting it dipping its bill.) I understand if it is best for the duckling, especially if in pain, but I feel bad for the little guy. My boys will take it hard, especially as they are both Autistic, but hopefully they will turn the love and affection they have shown for "Bumpy" to the remaining ducklings and goslings.
Thank you for your concern, Miss Lydia.

Here is a pic of the duckling.

I got an email from Jeff at Cackle, and he said "
Hi and thanks for the contact. OH my yes, that is a severe deformity . I am very sorry this made it pass our pulling crew and shipping crew and to you. This is a rare occurrence with this type of deformity in ducks. The breed is Rouen duck. I will put in for a refund and thank you so much for bringing this to our attention… Most sincere apologizes and it would be best if you could put down the duckling. "

This is a sad thing, as my kids have been holding it and nursing it (hand-feed and assisting it dipping its bill.) I understand if it is best for the duckling, especially if in pain, but I feel bad for the little guy. My boys will take it hard, especially as they are both Autistic, but hopefully they will turn the love and affection they have shown for "Bumpy" to the remaining ducklings and goslings.
Thank you for your concern, Miss Lydia.

Here is a pic of the duckling.

I have never seen anything like that. Could it have happened during shipping? anyway around it that poor duckling could never walk, Very sorry your having to go through this especially with the boys. So hard.
hugs.gif

Here is the reply we got about seeing if we could nurse the duckling and let it live...
The legs will slowly not have circulation and cause all kinds of problems. The animal kingdom is cruel and survival of the fittest is nature’s way of letting the best survive. My opinion right or wrong would be to put the duck down for its benefit. It is hard for humans to except natures cruel and survival of the fittest methods most sincerely,

Jeff

So we have put the poor duckling down.. It was very hard.. they told us this was the easiest way for us and the duckling.. Place it in a towel and put it in the freezer. It would fall asleep before it died and it would not feel a thing.. I find it very hard to do this but the poor little thing will be suffering if we don't..
Crystal (Dave's wife)

Here is the reply we got about seeing if we could nurse the duckling and let it live...
The legs will slowly not have circulation and cause all kinds of problems. The animal kingdom is cruel and survival of the fittest is nature’s way of letting the best survive. My opinion right or wrong would be to put the duck down for its benefit. It is hard for humans to except natures cruel and survival of the fittest methods most sincerely,

Jeff

So we have put the poor duckling down.. It was very hard.. they told us this was the easiest way for us and the duckling.. Place it in a towel and put it in the freezer. It would fall asleep before it died and it would not feel a thing.. I find it very hard to do this but the poor little thing will be suffering if we don't..
Crystal (Dave's wife)
I know that was hard, so sorry ya'll had to go through it, now go and enjoy the remaining healthy ones, and also know that the love and compassion you showed that duckling warms my heart.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom