Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

8 days in and my eggs are looking better and better. Still only 12 of 19 are making anything. I will be tossing those last 7 on day 10.
My 2 Tufted x Toulouse eggs are looking strong. Stormys 2 eggs are also looking strong and i believe now that they are fathered by my white chinese gander, i have noticed for awhile now that she is always with him. So maybe i have a chance at a saddle back or a dilute. The babies should be 1/4 tufted 1/4 brown chinese and 1/2 white chinese. If the four mentioned above hatch i am banding their legs to tell them apart from the rest if they arent noticeably different. The other eggs are a surprise i didnt mark who laid them because i wanted them to be random.
Cant wait to see what all them will look like.

Have babysitter for no charge :)
Handy out

I hope to 1 day have a couple of my dogs do that! Any tips on training, aside from taking it slow?

Last edited:
Do they both have the right number of eggs in the nest? Could it have got knocked out and rolled away? Or is it white and new? i´ve never had a sitting goose lay an egg so far into brooding.
It's definitely a fresh egg, perfectly clean. It's too far from the nest to have rolled out and I candled it later that night to double check, nothing in there. I thought it was a bit odd too considering they're both so far into brooding. And honestly, the longer they've been brooding the broodier they've gotten. One of the girls does only have 3 in her nest while the other is double that but I don't know why she would lay out in the yard as opposed to in her nice cozy nest?

This evening went into turn eggs on the 5 due this week. My Great Dane followed me in to check with me. I opened the incubator and was turning the 3 due on the 12th and my Dane put her nose in there and I said get out of there and the egg was moving. I had thought she did it until both eggs started moving. Guess she was telling me look mom movement! Well candled them and both had internally piped. Went back in later have one external crack.... Now to keep my hands out!!!!
barnie.gif

It's definitely a fresh egg, perfectly clean. It's too far from the nest to have rolled out and I candled it later that night to double check, nothing in there. I thought it was a bit odd too considering they're both so far into brooding. And honestly, the longer they've been brooding the broodier they've gotten. One of the girls does only have 3 in her nest while the other is double that but I don't know why she would lay out in the yard as opposed to in her nice cozy nest?
Maybe she just instinctively knew it wasn´t right and decided it had to be evacuated somewhere else. 6 eggs and 3 eggs is a nice number for your geese to hatch, when are they due?
This evening went into turn eggs on the 5 due this week. My Great Dane followed me in to check with me. I opened the incubator and was turning the 3 due on the 12th and my Dane put her nose in there and I said get out of there and the egg was moving. I had thought she did it until both eggs started moving. Guess she was telling me look mom movement! Well candled them and both had internally piped. Went back in later have one external crack.... Now to keep my hands out!!!!
barnie.gif
Wonderful. More sebbie pics on the way, then!!!!!
big_smile.png

Good luck Ruru. Learnt the hard way this morning not to mess with nature. Our broody goose has been sat for 30 days and it looks that the last of the eggs are duff. We had one externally piping in the incubator yesterday so I thought it would be good to let the mum goose hatch her out. I presentedvthe egg to her yesterday and she happily tucked her in with her others. This morning I checked and the chick was dead with half of the egg mashed around her. Now I feel crap and wished I had left her to hatch in the incubator with her siblings.

The goose hatched little ones last year so I was confident it would be ok, hard lesson learnt today.

Good luck Ruru. Learnt the hard way this morning not to mess with nature. Our broody goose has been sat for 30 days and it looks that the last of the eggs are duff. We had one externally piping in the incubator yesterday so I thought it would be good to let the mum goose hatch her out. I presentedvthe egg to her yesterday and she happily tucked her in with her others. This morning I checked and the chick was dead with half of the egg mashed around her. Now I feel crap and wished I had left her to hatch in the incubator with her siblings.

The goose hatched little ones last year so I was confident it would be ok, hard lesson learnt today.
You just never know, Paul, it might just have worked. I had one experienced goose last year crush a gosling in the egg. I don´t know know if it´s because the gosling isn´t strong or what, but it happends sometimes. Or maybe she needed to have a build-up, to develop a raport with the gosling? Don´t know. But once the egg shell is broken, the gosling doesn´t have that protection any more, the strength of the egg is gone. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom