Goslings with slightly older chicks

Aelizabethk

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
Hi,

We currently have 9 chicks (a mixture of egg-laying breeds) who are about 4 1/2 weeks old in a brooder in our garage. Last week we got two goslings, and they are set up in a brooder right next to the chicks. We intend at least one of the geese to be a guard goose for the chickens (we also have two mature hens outside), and I am wondering about the age difference as far as introducing them. I wanted to order them at the same time and raise them together from the start but unfortunately I could not find availability that lined up. I briefly introduced them under supervision for a few minutes and the goslings seem terrified of the chicks, and the chicks are pretty oblivious to the goslings. Can I/should I put them together now, or should I wait until the goslings are a bit older? Also, what considerations should I make as far as a heat source? The chicks are almost fully feathered and I only have heat on part-time for them now. (We are in southern Indiana).

Thank you in advance for any advice!

My goose is very curious of chicken feathers and will bite the young ones. Move them together ASAP to prevent that.

I would be worried the older chicks could injure the goslings since they are so young I'd keep them side by side until the gosling are feathered in and you have had time to watch them all together for some time. Goslings like to chew too so they may start pulling out feathers. I know a few years back a member put their young ducklings in with older chicks and those chicks seriously injured the ducklings. Those beaks are sharp. The gosling def still need a heat source.

Back
Top Bottom