Got 2 Muscovies, WH, and Runners! PICS

jellybean

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Bellevue, ID
I picked up a pair of Muscovies on Tuesday. First ones I've ever had. I really like them, they are very nice and gentle. I can pet them or pick them up if needed. They're across the fence from my other birds, and the geese have been squawking at them and carrying on trying to be aggressive. The muscovies either ignore them or huff at them. I let my young male Rouen in the pen today with them as they've been laying close by through the fence. The female went up to him and acted like she wanted mated, spreading her wings and making noise and head bobbing, laying down, etc. He is not quite 3 months old and didn't know what to do. Just stood there chirping, so eventually the female attacked him, biting him and flogging him and he freaked out. It wasn't really aggressive, she wasn't hurting him, just scared him. The male didn't join in. So I put him outside away from them again, and he's back by them near the fence.

Today I got a male WH, two female WH's, a female blue runner, and a female chocolate runner. They're adorable, but hard to get pictures of. They sat on my neck while watching TV, the blue is calmer and more friendly than the others.

I'd rather not clip their wings, as we have 20 acres and TONS of trees. But I do want them to stick around and come in at night. So I guess I'll be keeping them locked up for a while. Tried to give them peas today, they didn't like them. Meanwhile my young male is across the fence throwing a FIT and trying to get through since he can see the peas though I tried to hide them! He'll play fetch for peas!

0929002219a.jpg

0929000956a.jpg

0929002220.jpg

0929001924c.jpg

0929001922b.jpg

0929001922a.jpg

0929001735a.jpg

Hard to tell from the pictures, but both Muscovies are iridescent and shiny, the brown has several shades and is really beautiful. They are about 6 months old. I didn't used to like them, I think the caruncling is ugly, but I like these. There isn't much, and they're so nice that I now think they're beautiful. He has little black spots in the skin above his eyes, it kinda looks like big dark lashes.
Don't mind the wood and stuff, been doing some major construction in the duck pen! Gotta fix my pump so the pond isn't running either....

Back
Top Bottom