Gotta fox

janjan1

Crowing
15 Years
Feb 26, 2008
Armuchee, GA
After losing about 25 chickens we didn't know what or who. I hired a professional trapper to come out after seeing what looked like a young coyote or fox immediately after he killed my rooster. It was Sunday and he was catching his Sunday dinner. A fresh kill that he didn't have time to eat. I left the dead rooster hanging at the barn as a lure. The trapper set three leg traps, which didn't have any results Monday night. I went out to the barn this morning and the trap immediately under the rooster had this young mangy, thin male. He had a half of a tail and I really didn't know what it was, a young coyote or a fox. Since I am in the habit of late of carrying my 20 guage each time I go to the barn, in an attempt to shoot anything after my chickens, I dispatched this animal immediately. It was a pitiful sight and I think I took him out of his misery..and mine. I called the trapper who came out And then confirmed it was a diseased young fox. Mange took its tole. We have left the other traps and the chicken to hopefully catch more, but I feel that this fox was my killer.
Jan

Nice to eliminate the threat. Once they find that easy meal, they won't stop coming back until the food is gone.

Oh, poor thing! No, not "poor thing" that you shot it - "poor thing" that it was so mangy! You definitely did it a favor by putting it out of its misery! Glad you were able to take care of your problem and his.

Back
Top Bottom