Grabbing back of neck? Meanie!!

TreesAndBrees

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Miami, AZ
I was just petting my Rhode Island Red hen, and she always sits down when I pet her. Well, a Brahma (not sure what sex...I think roo but not 100% sure) comes along and grabs the RIR's back of the neck by the feathers and held her down and wouldn't let go. I pressed him gently towards the ground until he let go. Is this normal chicken behavior? Thanks!

He isn't being mean, he is mating with her and that is how chickens mate. Don't try to interfere with this behavior as long as he doesn't draw blood. It is completely normal.

Some but not all. There are just as many people on either side of the fence. It really depends on the personality of both the owner and the chickens. I'd leave them too it.

Thanks guys- I didn't think they were old enough to mate yet (nobody is laying eggs yet, they are about 9 weeks old), but he/she only seems to do it when I am petting the Rhode Island Red. I guess we'll see!

If he only does it when you are petting the hen, I would be worried that he's not trying to mate, per-se, but showing you that it's "HIS" hen.

Is he aggressive to you at all any other time?

I'm by far not an expert, just doing a lot of reading... So take it with a grain of salt.. But I think I would gently discourage this behavior as you have done. Not because he was trying to mate, but mostly because he was only doing it when you were paying attention to the hen...

Back
Top Bottom