Grandpa's Feeder~~do you like yours?

Sit the entire feeder set-up, just the way you have it now, inside an open topped box or crate set longways on its' side. If the sides are wide (tall) enough to cover the feeders, then the top (the other side) will be wide enough to keep the poo out of them.

If you calculate the width of the bottom (now the back) correctly, you can still get in to fill the feeders, but the girls can't climb on top - or you can angle the top, like a coop roof, so they don't roost at all, but you still have access. If you plan to use a heated base in the winter, leave off the lower side, so the heater doesn't sit on wood all winter and be sure to allow for the additional height.

A bonus is that Mr. Contractor can't get the hose past a wooden box without making a serious effort!

Thankfully the contractor is working on the inside now and has put away his hose. LOL!!

Great idea MROO. I hadn't thought about some sort of box to keep water out and the girls off. Those could be quite handy come winter as well. I will go out to our extra bits and pieces pile and see what I can scrounge up. Thank you for that. I am so glad that someone is smarter than my chickens cause they seem to outwit me at every turn.

My husband spent LOTS of time making a wooden pedal (treadle) feeder from some BYC plans. I never used it. (I'll be selling it on CL soon as I can post it ;))

I did buy the metal pedal (treadle) feeders after re-thinking. I was hoping to keep wild birds and mice out. Squirrels were the first to learn how to use them. Cottontail bunnies learned next. When I hear the "clunk" of the pedal being stepped on it is usually bunnies!

My younger hens finally learned how the feeder works, but I never took time to teach the pullets I bought last year. Basically 3 out of 7 hens (plus all the wildlife) know how to use the feeders at this point. I'm using only one of the two feeders I purchased; it is in the barn. It sits on a metal cookie sheet to keep all the billed out feed from scattering.

I still have hanging feeders in both runs, since we are overrun by ants and I don't want feedstuffs sitting on the ground. In a nutshell, I'm not a big fan of the pedal feeders. My girls bill out feed from all feeder types. I was considering the plastic tub w/pvc elbow openings, too, but haven't constructed one yet.

Thank you texsuze. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. I don't have other animals getting into mine, thankfully, but they do make a mess, which is something I was hoping to avoid. Feed gets caught on both side of the feeder as well as under it. I do like how much they hold, but I am not sure they are really worth the amount of money I so stupidly paid for them.

I am about ready to try one of those elbow feeders myself, but it took me so long to save up for these treadle feeders that I feel very guilty not using them as I know I won't get my money back out of them. Very frustrating. You would think I would learn and stop listening to the hype. First I fell for sand in the coop and then these feeders. I could just smack myself.

See a lot of good things suggestions here so far but have to add my $.02
The small felt dots used to protect furniture. Placed under the lid at the corners should cushion the banging when they close.

Thank you. That would help somewhat. I will pick some up tomorrow.

We literally live in the woods. I have a half acre fenced but that is just to slow down the predators. I open the fence late morning so they are free to roam where ever they want. I do a pretty good job with the yote's and Bobcats but they get 1or two a year. Nothing like watching happy Chickens running around in the woods. They are different animals when allowed to run free!

Back
Top Bottom