1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    maybe someone on the phone can explain it then. [​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

In Twist's defense on naming the dog, he had registry papers in front of him to encourage his brain cells. . . .

3. campingshaws

campingshaws Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

I feed four measuring cups of food once a day. Jewel is still pretty lean, so sometimes I wonder if she needs more. I think she just runs it off. She's also about 50 lbs.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Do you guys think four guineas would be happy in my little tractor? I can start letting them out after they've been coop trained... I think I've read 8 weeks for guineas?

They're still pretty small right now, so they could at least live there for a little while. My cochin pullet is nearly grown and doesn't have any trouble navigating the ramp or pop door, so I don't think they would either.

Is their call really the only way to sex them, or is that just how to sex them earlier? A couple of mine have some really gross looking wattles coming in. :lau

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    the guinea hens wattles go straight down with a little bend and the boys are thicker with a more pronounced bend in them . the call is the most reliable way if you cant see the difference in the wattles. Its not a big one but its there. Be sure that where you put them you intend to let them stay for life. they imprint on home and nothing will stop them from getting there.

6. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

I think I'll park the tractor in the back yard. Would moving it around the yard mess them up? I've heard at least one two-tone call, and I've got one without wattles. Hoping that I just don't hear them enough.

7. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Porter herd bull for my Yaks Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    well to be honest I was actually thing of cinnamon twist but thought that might be to long. OR carmel roll . Hymn was still a baby in that pic tho
    ing about 10 or 11 years ago.

[​IMG] This was Hym on 4/12/2007 3 days after being the daddy of an Easter Sunday liter.

1 person likes this.
  8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    So the picture of you was 10 years ago ?

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Am i losing it ? I went back to look at your picture (because I cant help myself) and its gone ! I see it in the side bar but not on the post. [​IMG]

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    yes it will. they dont like it when you move anything in the yard. even a statue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by