grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. campingshaws

campingshaws Flock Master

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Enola we're the exact opposite! I love fancy feathers and broodies and the eggs are nice, but not a deal breaker. I love juvies the best because they're still sweet little things.

The only breed I care about is the speckled sussex, and other than that I just want pretty, friendly, diverse chickens. I sold 3 pol EE pullets because they were too brown. :lau

2. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    I'm still at the beginning and I want them all lol.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

My chickens HAVE to be productive. I cannot afford to feed chickens that are not laying or growing to be butchered. I would say my chickens are livestock, definitely not pets.

Before I moved here I hatched chicks by the hundreds with incubators. I mainly hatched sex links, the pullets sold like hot cakes. The rest of the chicks I hatched were EE, Araucanas and broiler type chicks. Since moving here all I can sell is eggs. I only have enough room for a laying flock, the land lord will not let me build anything to house any breeding chickens.

2 people like this.
  4. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy Premium Member

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    I am currently trying Swedish Flower, Salmon Favorelle & Icelandic breeds.

5. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Camping I just drink regular old foldgers. Nothing but black. And I drink all my coffee at night.

6. napdognewfie

napdognewfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2014
    western MD
    No coffee. Yuck. I'm a soda drinker. No caffeine Coke zero or diet pepsi. I am a tea drinker too. Lots of sugar or none at all. No in between. Lol

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Folgers Black Silk for me. Strong with creamer with sugar. The coffee at work is pathetic. When I pour it in my cup it looks more like tea than coffee. That I drink black and pretend it is coffee.....

8. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    That's the good thing about chickens , if they don't lay,you can eat them. I just don't need to get so attached. Hard to kill your best friend. Don't get me wrong though, if I had to or needed the meat, I'd have to pull a granny on em.

9. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    I'm with you on they need to be productive. We sell our eggs on our farm stand & to our regulars. I have 1 small coop that is the Silkie coop. It holds 4 adult & 2 juvies comfortably. My large coop is for my layers. The other 2 house my trial birds. Will see how it goes with selling chicks again in the spring. I love the fact that all 3 breeds I'm trying are on the endangered list. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will be great layers on top of being very docile.

10. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    I love my birds, but if I need to process some I'm OK with that. They are here to make us some money & provide for our family.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by