grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Well, I had forgotten completely about toes. What's that disease I can never remember.... CRS! [​IMG]

Also forgot about the comb. Silkies have a pea comb ( looks sort of bumpy). I bet Red has a Cochin. If the comb is a regular, classic style single comb, then the new hen is probably a Cochin. Super sweet, excellent broody, maybe not the smartest [​IMG]. Pea combs are dominant, so that would carry through from a Silkie cross. Is she round shaped, Red? Sort of like a feathered ball? Short little rounded off tail?

[​IMG]
    round one in the center behind the post is Cochin. (the fox got her [​IMG]). Hairy one in foreground is silkied Serama. (She's my sick one now. [​IMG])

One thing I have found is that most people who are not on BYC are less knowledgeable about poultry in general. If someone gave them some birds and called them Silkies, that person doesn't know any different and goes on calling them that, so it happens. [​IMG] You can tell a hard core breeder because they care mostly about the shape of the bird. If it has the wrong shape, it is not considered an example of the breed. The color is secondary. Most of the mass produced hatchery birds are nothing like their breed is supposed to be. They are still good chickens, especially if you want eggs, but they would be immediately disqualified from any show. The Standard of Perfection is the book that describes how the breeds should ideally look. Some breeds, like Cochins, have been around for over 100 years! They were sort of bred to be the chicken equivalent of a lap dog. [​IMG]

2. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Is she called a frizzle? I think granny's Spaz was a frizzle Polish. I've read that you can't breed 2 frizzles together because it is lethal if they get 2 recessive genes. There's something lethal that runs through the Seramas, but my breeding days are over. Only rooster left is shooting blanks!

3. napdognewfie

napdognewfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2014
    western MD
    Silkies have a mulberry colored comb and black or blue skin and extra toes.

When they tuck their head under a wing, they look like the Tribbles from the original Star Trek.

4. Wishing4Wings

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Tribbles! [​IMG]

Well, I have to drag myself outside and get chores done, which I have been putting off all morning. It's after noon, and the day is half gone!

5. napdognewfie

napdognewfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2014
    western MD
    Yes she's a frizzle. Feathers look like she was in the dryer way too long on the wrong heat setting.

6. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Wow! You're good wishing. She is more round shaped with a short rounded tail. The combs so small it's hard to tail but I'm pretty sure it's a pea comb.

7. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Wishing I tapped on this picture and scrolled through to your pics and number 356 is more her body shape. But the comb isn't raised hardly at all. She almost don't have a comb. But the little one she does have reminds me of a real you hens comb. She is supposed to be 1 and a half years old.

8. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Are we posting cochin pics now! I took this one yesterday.

[​IMG]

This is Mae West, hatched in March sometime. She's a splash with hardly any spots. Nice and big, though. She actually slows down and stops when the kids start chasing her. :love

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  9. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    She is beautiful camping!

10. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

Thanks! I just realized that somehow she and the polish missed the pelvic exams this morning even though they're pushing 7 months. Guess I'm going back out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by