grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I doubt they have to heat theirs in the winter.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I wasn't trying to direct that *at* you as a bad thing, @prostar -- it just seems you see so many posts on here during the summer of people in absolute panic or going on about all the different steps they add to their day to try to keep their birds cool. The thing is, panting, holding their wings out, etc can be a sign of distress - yes - but it is also the bird's natural way to help cool themselves -- too often people see a bird start to pant (but is otherwise not showing any signs of distress) and fly into def-con 5 reactions to "save their birds". A little heat, and their natural reaction to it, is not always cause for alarm - I just think sometimes gets forgotten. It's like the winter stuff - the urge to insulate, heat, etc - *some* birds need it, yes, but the vast majority are much better equipped to deal with heat and cold than most give them credit for. I feel like I'm probably not getting this out right.......

1 person likes this.
  3. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Granny! Those are beautiful! Look a lot like the game cocks, but little! Are they sweet? Don't want Pops dealing with a meanie.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  4. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Yeah. Holding the family jewels lol. I love museums. Should've seen some of the looks we got while she was posing for the pic. That reminds me of another story. Me and my best friend don't get out much but we like digging for rocks and minerals. Well we did before I got into the shape I'm in now. Anyway we went digging one day and we got red clay on us from head to toe. Well there was a museum that had rocks and minerals in it so we decided to go. We get to the door covered in clay but they did let us in. My friend decides to go to the bathroom first to get cleaned up a little bit. Well, when we entered the museum, we were the only one's there. He didn't know that after he went into the bathroom that there was a large very well dressed group of people that came in behind us. So he's in there and starts doing the stinkyest deed that I have ever smelt in my life. He's making all kinda sounds trying to make me laugh and doesn't know that the group of what looked to be professors was right at the door looking at the exhibits. I could tell that some of them were about to gag. He's done lashings his hands and hollering at me telling me what a nice bathroom that it was. Descibing every detail. Yes I could've warned him about the crowd but being the good friend that I am, figured I'd just let it unfold. Oh the looks on their faces and his when he exits was priceless! It really hit home when I asked him out loud did he wipe good so we wouldn't have to stop like last time.

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they are the sweetest birds i know. very easy to tame. and yes, very tiny !

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    we over worry . I do .

7. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Granny...I'm being pushy..nothing new. They come with blue eyes, but pretty is as pretty does.

.[​IMG]
    Bindy my constant companion
    [​IMG]
    Dillon, my ranch dog, LGD and all around perfect boy.
    Tempted???

8. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Chicken Obsessed

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    Mare the heat and cold iissues are why I stick with duel purpose ones.

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    first year i had chickens here I worried myself sick. I stood out there with the garden hose spraying the roof for hours . got $100. water bill. hahaaa

10. napdognewfie

napdognewfie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2014
    western MD
    Whoever had the pretty cat, it is a lynx point siamese. I had one called Henry J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by