grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Yay for Peach! The job, [​IMG][​IMG]Such a hard decision. "silly with budgeting" been there done that! Like my g-ma said, If it has tires or testicles it will eventually give you trouble. Do what your heart tells you.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    LOL, i Like your grandma . is she still with us ?

3. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Lol. Sounds like your grandma was like mine.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You can go the "roughing it" route -- I've never had a wired coop (here or in Idaho), so heated anything was out of the question. I've always just used the black rubber tubs (always had them around anyway for feeding horses and other livestock) and carried fresh water out 2-3 times a day. The birds adjust pretty quickly and learn that when water arrives it's time to drink up and using warm water can stretch the time before it freezes over. We just use empty gallon jugs since there's no point in taking a bunch of water that they won't drink before it freezes. The rubber tubs are great because when you go out and find it has frozen through you just drop it on the ground to break the ice out and the pan itself has enough give that it never breaks. Alternatively you keep two waterers for each water station and rotate them into the house for thawing/filling so that you are taking out one fresh waterer and trading it for the frozen one. I keep a short "winter hose" in the house during the winter that I can connect to fill the horse trough and then unhook, drain and put back inside. If/when this gets forgotten (ie kids) or it's just too **** cold to be messing with the outside faucet I have a 50 foot length of tubing with a faucet adapter on it that I use for filling fish tanks - it reaches from the sink to the trough.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    If that doesn't work they do a needle aspiration....[​IMG]

6. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]No worries granny! ! I know, lotta $, but...if it's a great fit, that's nothing for a perfect fit for the next 14 years! I know it's hard to come up with, but...

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] I so missed my calling . hhehehee

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ya, that not happening. too many strays running around . I am getting attached to Lily and she is me. found out tonight she dont like storms. she didnt freak out but she was trembling.

9. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Please let's get off the needles. Especially there.lol. Don't like needles at all.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    All fun and games until someone starts talking about any sort of poking and prodding down there, eh, roost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by