grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm home already. The Dr had an emergency so all the appointments were rescheduled. Now I go the 30th. 2 more weeks of doing nothing and I will tear my hair out!

caught up again. I am now tied with firago on the caption contest. LOL Have to do payroll and then garden work before the heavy frost tonight. And haul the pumpkins and squash in to house or garage that are still in the back of my pickup. Filled a small trailer with rejects for the chickens and yaks. Don't know if yak like pumpkin or not we'll find out I guess. I think I keep to many to process but can always serve them instead of squash. TTFN.

Offer of the privilege of naming a yak to the one who comes forward on my feather
bun.gif
LOL

I know im talking to self right now. Egg yolks are paler yellow. Is that because they re not getting enough protein with this ff? Im feeding some chick starter. About 1/2 of each. Only got 1 egg each day for last 2 days. Maybe its time for the light in the coop. Both eggs were green. Hope some of my pullets lay green eggs. 3 of them have pea combs but that could be from GLW roo Should see in about a month.

i have stopped for a while with the ff ..they just wouldn't eat it anymore..i get maybe two eggs a week now most are molting..

The orange in the yolks comes from carotenoids, dark leafy things, grass, alfalfa. Corn will contribute too. They will build it up in their systems over the winter break, and you will see yellower legs and skin (for those who have yellow skin). Yolks are darker orange in the spring and tend to get lighter over the summer as the pigment gets used up. Hens that have laid well will have very pale feet/skin. Old timers cull hens who have bright yellow legs in the fall because it meant she didn't lay much. You can supplement with leafy things, but I have found that the cycle tends to happen anyway. Some feeds add marigold petals to make the yolks orange, but I wonder if that has the same health benefits as when the hens get good greens.

Your gd is a cutie!!!
smile.png

Morning! Hope dd's appointment goes well. I can tell your eyes weren't open yet because jane had 6 Xs in her age, not 7!
lol.png

woot.gif
Free horses!!! Get 'em in the barn!
gig.gif

Lisa, fasting is no fun. They make you do that when pregnant to check for gestational diabetes. After not eating, you have to sit in the dr office and drink this syrup stuff with your poor empty stomach.
sickbyc.gif
I couldn't finish it all. Oh, you have to they told me. I said the blood test wouldn't work anyway if I barfed the syrup all over the office. Haha! Did I mention I don't like going to the doctor?

thanks for the info about the egg yolks..when i have to fast they tell me i can have black coffee..

caught up again.   I am now tied with firago on the caption contest.  LOL   Have to do payroll and then garden work before the heavy frost tonight.  And haul the pumpkins and squash in to house or garage that are still in the back of my pickup.   Filled a small trailer with rejects for the chickens and yaks.  Don't know if yak like pumpkin or not we'll find out I guess.  I think I keep to many to process  but can always serve them instead of squash.    TTFN.

Offer of the privilege of naming a yak to the one who comes forward on my feather :bun   LOL
That's great twist. You may get another golden feather so you can run your mouth even longer :lau I hope the one that got you the gf steps up soon. I think it's driving me just as crazy. I've got my hypothesis who it is but I'd like to know for sure.

i have stopped for a while with the ff ..they just wouldn't eat it anymore..i get maybe two eggs a week  now  most are molting..
I could be wrong but I think that the ff would slow down the laying would it? My hens are still going strong. You do have colder weather and mine hens are still young so they're not molting yet. I think I was reading somewhere that greens had a lot to do with yolk color but my crs is kicking in too so I don't remember lol.

Well I'm home already. The Dr had an emergency so all the appointments were rescheduled. Now I go the 30th. 2 more weeks of doing nothing and I will tear my hair out!
Sorry newfie. They're bad about calling me in early and giving me thirty minutes to get there. It's a twenty minute ride there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom