grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case anyone has ever wondered what it's like to drive around with 10 chickens in the car with you I can tell you - IT STINKS!
th.gif

DS and I headed out bright and early today, made our first stop and picked up four lovely little leghorn pullets - nice guy, BEAUTIFUL farm (may have momentarily considered just moving in, lol), and great birds. Oh, and I was strong, ya'll! We went for four and he had six left of the group he had for sale. DS picked his four, got them in the cage and the guy says, "I'll give you those last two for half price if you just take 'em all" -- you don't know how hard it was to say no, but I had promised DH when we left that I was ONLY getting 10 birds today and he may well have found those last two as grounds for divorce.........so I said no
hit.gif
Way I figure it, I can bank the good points for self control and cash them in later for the next time I find something I have to add to the flock, lol.

So, that's four birds in the backseat - drove another hour, was fairly certain we were lost (and in an area where I was fairly certain I could hear banjos
hide.gif
), saw some beautiful country and found stop #2. More super nice folks! Had a nice look around their birds (they had a few different breeding pens), and got to the BPR pen just in time to see 1, then 2 and then 3 of the pullets hop the fence and head for the hills.........a 4th hopped into the pen next door to try to hide out. We got our exercise, rounded up all but one and got them caged - were about to say we'd just forget that last one when DS managed to flush her out of some trees.......finally got her cornered and caught. As we were passing back by the house he was talking about an upcoming hatch and we got invited in to take a peek at the incubator and brooders. FINALLY got back on the road and spent the next two hours rolling the windows up and down to see-saw between stink and rain
sickbyc.gif
Along the way two of the leghorns decided they couldn't cross their little legs any longer so we came home with 10 birds AND two eggs, which for some reason REALLY impressed and amused DS.

I broke the cardinal rule (again) and dumped the newbies in with the rest of the flock - -I know, I know, quarantine-quarantine-quarantine ---- just not got the space to do it at the moment and am willing to take the risk as there's really only a couple out there that I'd be heartbroken to lose or hard pressed to replace (which, of course, does guarantee that if this goes badly those will be the ones I lose). I made a judgement call - hoping it doesn't come back to bite me in the hiney! Good news is that they seem to be settling in okay. This flock that I have right now just doesn't much care about new birds and putting them in their place - though I did have to go out and convince the BPR to get out of the rain and into the coop at bedtime -- everyone was all settled in on the roost with no muss and no fuss so
fl.gif

Just wanna be sure. Sort of got the impression that people here have a good sense of humor and aren't easily offended.

-Kathy

you got the right impression Kathy. Now, Im not so sure about  Lisa being hip, But i am all hip ! :gig
Honey your talking to the hippest Nana you've ever seen. My 13 year old gd friends even talk to me. I'm way
1f60e.png
lol.

Last edited:
ol mare ! what a trip ! sounds like fun and good time with your son.
love.gif
what is BP chicken ? blood pressure is what comes to mind. LOL

Lisa, I meant baby rearing hip.
gig.gif
I am very far from being modern, hip. I am a dork . LOL
I need to go read a post for a min. BB

In case anyone has ever wondered what it's like to drive around with 10 chickens in the car with you I can tell you - IT STINKS!  :th  

DS and I headed out bright and early today, made our first stop and picked up four lovely little leghorn pullets - nice guy, BEAUTIFUL farm (may have momentarily considered just moving in, lol), and great birds.  Oh, and I was strong, ya'll!  We went for four and he had six left of the group he had for sale.  DS picked his four, got them in the cage and the guy says, "I'll give you those last two for half price if you just take 'em all" -- you don't know how hard it was to say no, but I had promised DH when we left that I was ONLY getting 10 birds today and he may well have found those last two as grounds for divorce.........so I said no :hit   Way I figure it, I can bank the good points for self control and cash them in later for the next time I find something I have to add to the flock, lol.

So, that's four birds in the backseat - drove another hour, was fairly certain we were lost (and in an area where I was fairly certain I could hear banjos :oops: ), saw some beautiful country and found stop #2.  More super nice folks!  Had a nice look around their birds (they had a few different breeding pens), and got to the BPR pen just in time to see 1, then 2 and then 3 of the pullets hop the fence and head for the hills.........a 4th hopped into the pen next door to try to hide out.  We got our exercise, rounded up all but one and got them caged - were about to say we'd just forget that last one when DS managed to flush her out of some trees.......finally got her cornered and caught.  As we were passing back by the house he was talking about an upcoming hatch and we got invited in to take a peek at the incubator and brooders.  FINALLY got back on the road and spent the next two hours rolling the windows up and down to see-saw between stink and rain :sick   Along the way two of the leghorns decided they couldn't cross their little legs any longer so we came home with 10 birds AND two eggs, which for some reason REALLY impressed and amused DS.

I broke the cardinal rule (again) and dumped the newbies in with the rest of the flock - -I know, I know, quarantine-quarantine-quarantine ---- just not got the space to do it at the moment and am willing to take the risk as there's really only a couple out there that I'd be heartbroken to lose or hard pressed to replace (which, of course, does guarantee that if this goes badly those will be the ones I lose).   I made a judgement call - hoping it doesn't come back to bite me in the hiney!  Good news is that they seem to be settling in okay.  This flock that I have right now just doesn't much care about new birds and putting them in their place - though I did have to go out and convince the BPR to get out of the rain and into the coop at bedtime -- everyone was all settled in on the roost with no muss and no fuss so  :fl
Well crossing my fingers that all will be well. Sounds like you've had a very interesting day. I can sympathize with you over the chickens smelling in the back seat. I have driven around far too many of them in the back seat of my car in the past 2 months, but lucky for me It wasn't raining any of the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom