1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. campingshaws

campingshaws Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    Wow, that's scary. I just don't know if I can wait for another hatch. I figured I would either try the lock down eggs, or slip some chicks under her in the night.

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    The trick is to time the cycle. They start the broody cycle by laying about 10-12 eggs over a week and a half, but don't sit on them. Once the clutch is big enough, they start broody sitting for the 21 days. Whether they need to sit all that time or if the presence of chicks peeping will get them up and around after one week of sitting, I don't know. I think there's less chance of her rejecting the chicks if they hatch under her. I'd try it! Mamas a chicks are so wonderful together, and she will handle the integration when they are ready.

3. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

You know, after I started really thinking about it, the signs have been there for a while. For at least a week she's been stalking the nest boxes; if someone was laying, she dug out a nest in the coop floor and just STARED at them. Every single time. She's been screaming at me for a few days. So I think she's really ready. I guess I could go ahead and give her a few eggs tonight. Maybe I'll wait til tomorrow. That would have her setting for almost a week.

4. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Sounds good! [​IMG]

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    I candled my serama eggs tonight. one dead, 4 good . they look like 15 day chicks except for one seems a couple days ahead. They have made it further then any so far except for the one that lived about 3 days or so. Im not holding my breath til they are a week old and eating on their own.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The real test to see if a hen will stay broody is to move her nest to another place, if she stays broody, she is probably good to go.

7. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

So setting up the dog kennel and fixing her nest inside it would count, right? Maybe I'll go ahead and fix the roost, too. She was still on the nest when I closed up the coop, and it's totally empty because I took the eggs earlier and haven't replaced them with anything. She's such a goofy girl. Honestly, if you had asked me to look at my flock and pick a potential broody, she would've been low on the list. Maybe one step above the hen everyone thinks is a rooster.

8. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    She did lay today, but maybe that was her "last" egg. If she lays tomorrow I'll get the nest set up but wait for eggs. If she doesn't lay, then I'll give her eggs tomorrow night.

How's that?

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Crossing fingers!

We want to see a picture of the hen everyboby thinks is a hen....

10. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    [​IMG]

She's in the foreground. It's obvious to us chicken folk that she's a hen, but visitors always assume she's a rooster. I call her my tomboy hen because she's loud and flappy, and a total a-hole. She lays very small eggs, out of spite I think.

[​IMG]

And here's an update on the babies. :love

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by