grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manychitlens

manychitlens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    Watermelon, I'm sorry about your bunny. :( It's so hard to have a sick pet. We have a rabbit that is horrible and mean. We got her as a baby and held her a lot, etc etc, but she's just a mean one! I'm a softie so we still have her. 10 years and counting. Sigh. :rolleyes: She also just recently decided that she no longer needs to use her litterbox. So that's fun.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. manychitlens

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    Granny those little chickies were definitely meant to be!! Too funny about the rooster, I can just imagine the chaos! :)

3. manychitlens

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    So we are a little more than a week away from our chick delivery, and I'm starting to have chicken anxiety! [​IMG] Will they be friendly? Will my kids find one dead in the brooder in the morning when they get up at the crack of dawn? Do we have everything we need? Will I even LIKE having chickens???? I'm starting to make myself crazy. I feel like the only cure for this is to go and pick up a couple of chicks... you know... so that I can just get the initial shock over with. [​IMG]My husband is not a fan of this plan, LOL. He is very anti-hatchery. The kids are off this week (spring break, 2 of my boys are in full day preschool and 1 is in 1st grade, so it's usually just me and baby girl all day), so I told them that they could come with me to the feed store to pick up a few last minute things and look at the babies for a while. I'm not even sure what we're ending up with at this point (as you may or may not remember I ordered a chocolate orpington, a cream legbar, an OE, and 2 silkies). The breeder emailed me to tell me that the OE's are having some trouble hatching, so I might need to substitute something for the OE. Not sure what that might be yet. Maybe a barred rock that happens to find it's way home with me from the feed store. :D

I tried posting a picture of the brooder that I made, but it wasn't working. I'll try again later. Hope everyone is having a great night!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    oe=old english game ? they are mean. well, the roosters are prone to be frisky i should say. do you have twins? [​IMG] . love my little frizzle seramas girls. Like it when you get a chicken from a pre-teen girl. they are always so tame ! as far as children and chicks, just to make sure they dont rub them on their faces and wash hands after holding them. Camping glad the eggs are ok that would of scared me. any reason for it? Enola, I thought you were talking about my Tom for a min. LOL Watermellon, it has to get better right? It sounds like an abscess.

5. manychitlens

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    No sorry, by OE I mean Olive Egger. :) He has some auto-sexing ones. Nope no twins, but the school that my kids go to is a Montessori and they have classes grouped into 3 year age ranges. So the class that my older one is in, is 1st-3rd grade, and my two younger ones (they are 3 and 5) are in the preschool-Kindergarten class. My 5 year old I guess you would say is in pre-k. I will DEFINITELY make sure that the kids wash their hands after touching the chicks, and will be watching like a hawk to make sure they don't rub them on their faces!! I hadn't even thought about that. Hopefully none of my kids manage to kill any of the chicks. [​IMG] I made the lid of the brooder really heavy, but lord knows those boys get themselves into plenty of trouble. My oldest is a rule-follower usually (it's the Asperger's) but when he decides not to follow a rule, he really doesn't follow it, LOL. Hip deep in alligators in a hurry. :) Maybe I should put a lock on the lid.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    rule follower, hahaa worst mistake i ever made. Dont talk to strangers. everyone is a stranger at first. (sigh) they break the rule when thet KNOW they are right or you told them something different. (you changed the rule). best one? 10 items or less line at the grocery store. Now that is funny to watch people with 15 items squirm. Your going to jail, your breaking the rules ! hahaa

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

10 item per cart rule....... Mike will count items out loud when people break that rule. It is embaeassing standing in line with him.

8. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    My bator is a cheap LG still air, not digital. It's not very stable. I discovered that I can drape a hand towel over one edge when it gets low, and it comes up. Well it was low so I did the hand towel, and went to sleep. In the morning it was 104. So, that's what happened. It's not a bad bator, it just needs a lot of attention.

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Enola, hahaaa it is embarrassing but coming from a child of say 4-10 what can you say? ohh the dirty looks i have gotten and a few remarks of not teaching my child respect. I would say but he knows how to follow rules !

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    same one i had that did good for a long time til i loaned it . nothing but bad after that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by