grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What are you using to measure the humidity? What day are you on?

Granny, Mike is a little older than 4 :lau. When we are at Wal-Mart we go through check out in Lawn & Garden

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

I have an outdoor thermometer/hygrometer that I use for humidity, because the thermometer isn't accurate. Today is Day 15.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I don't put water in mine until day 18, but it is humid here. I only add water if the humidity gets below 15%.

On day 18, I try to get to 60%. I also use a LG, the old fashioned kind.

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hahaa, oohhh, wonder if lawn and garden is open yet here. you know i have eggs in the bator too and NO idea when they started. well, take that back before it gets cold. some time between the 11th and 15th. dry bator, serama so day 18 hatch sometimes. (so i have heard) when should i give them humidity and lock down? shoot, I dont even know if they are alive. had such bad luck with them i just set and forget. hahaa Heres a bad idea that sounds good. since they are in a turner I thought it would be best to use an egg carton for lock down. cut little holes in the bottom for circulation. oh, wait a min. If I use a paper carton i can wet it and humidity will be awesome ! NOT thats the sticky chick i have that is all alone and crys all day long.

5. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana

I've kept mine at 30%. That's what all the folks in the LA thread shoot for. Humid here, too. I add a teaspoon when it gets to 25% or so.

6. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    Good mornng everyone!
    I am happy to hear your eggs are alive and doing ok Camping. Enola, Thank you for the wonderful info! I don't think he has snuffles. He doesn't have anthing like a runny nose anymore, the antibiotics helped him with that. He also doesn't have any kind of discharge coming from his eyes. I once had a rabbit some how get pastualla on her nose. She aparently "sneezed" it out, and the next day, she was gone. His lump isn't like hers was, His lump is hard. Hers was squishy. He is breathing fine, I don't know if that helps narrow things down, but whatever. I talked to my vet that is out of town at a llama show. She asked if we could lance it with a needle (I am also dealing with an abcess on another rabbit of mine's ear. I had to lance it. It was cheesey and gross[​IMG].)
    I felt uncomforable by doing that because it was on his face. I will be bringing both Nonni (the one with the eare abcess) and Tom in next Monday. I am still sick and miserable though.

7. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    [​IMG]

Does this look broody to you? She's a goofy hen who jumps and runs from falling leaves, shadows, wind, etc. Usually she doesn't let me near her. She's been grumpy and guarding that box all day. Every time I tried to get the eggs, she raised her feathers and screamed at me. And now that I think about it, she's screamed at me a few times over the past few days, but today is the first time she's kept her booty in the box.

My first broody! I'm excited!

8. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    She looks broody! You going to let her hatch some eggs?

9. campingshaws

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    If she sticks with it through Thursday, maybe I'll give her a few lockdown eggs? This is a first time for both of us. I have some mixed breed eggs (some are hers) that I'm not depending on.

Does that sound ok?

10. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    why dont you try a few fresh eggs ? first time broodys sometime stop mid way. I would try her with something besides the ones you know are getting ready to hatch. I had a broody mama once that was so protective of the eggs she would kill the chicks as they hatched under her. I didnt put up with that for very long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by