grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    [​IMG]Sorry Granny, My mind is kinda shot right now. Doing my homework on genetics. I am bamboozled. Anyway what are you talking about?

2. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Ha ha Granny...I'm not much help. I seldom get bored, but my mind certainly rambles. The fireplace doors may work...give it a try and see.

3. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    I'm worthless today, too. Had a migraine yesterday so today I'm still recovering. :( Sorry.

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    Im sorry your feeling bad Camping . as my friend says, feeling pants. I still have those. started when i was with child. ??? hmmm?????? lol the fireplace just sounds fun.

5. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Granny, the fire place door would look cool. Only two drawbacks I can think of. If the edge is sharp where the birds have to go over, and they sit on it, as you know they will, it could hurt them. Other thing depends on how the door is made and what you use on the coop floor. The folding ones I've seen have a track along the bottom and if it fills up with shavings or other junk, it won't work properly. If there's an open channel for the junk to fall through, then it should work. I'd try it!

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    unfortunately i have a plain jane door. he didnt even use the wood that matched the building. Amateur. should see how the hole is cut. lol no matter, the job is done and the chickens are in heaven. first time some of them have had their feet on the ground/dirt. maybe i will get well enough to squat and redo. I was going to put it on the outside but yr right about the track, it would of been worthless in a month or so.

7. Watermelon123

Watermelon123 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Northern Ohio,
    I have an update on Tom the Rabbit:
    For the last couple of weeks he has been doing fine and off of his meds. But as I was feeding today, I noticed somthing. He had gotten a lump on his face. It is right over where his sinus would be. If it is a sinus infection, I might not have any other choice but to put him down.
    I feel there is nothing else I can do, I am sick, I am at a loss, and I just need somthing to go right. Just Once! Is that too much to ask?

Anyway, I feel kinda like you do granny, It has been an almost worthless month. I am done with today, I am going to bed.

Good night, warm fuzzies.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I wonder if Tom has 'snuffles'? Caused by the bacteria Pasturella (sp?) sometimes infected rabbits will develope abcesses.

I used to raise rabbits for meat. A man came every two weeks to pick up my fryers. I bought a male rabbit for breeding that brought what I suspected was snuffles. I tried treating it with antibiotics, but soon realized that as large as my rabbitry was, the cost would be prohibitive. I culled EVERYTHING that started having snotty noses, starting with him. It took me over a year to get rid of messy noses.

Individual rabbits can be treated, I just didn't have the time, money or energy to treat hundreds of rabbits.

You may have to take Tom back to the vet to see if he has an abcess. Good luck!

9. campingshaws

campingshaws True BYC Addict Premium Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Southwest Louisiana
    This morning when I woke up the bator was at 104 even. No idea how long it had been cooking like that. And of course I was panicked. Then we went to church and had lunch at a park and took the kids to a playground, so I couldn't even baby it. I just finished candling, and the only one I pulled was a day 8 or so quitter. I had a few that were questionable, and everyone else looked awesome. So I still have 45 strong eggs.

:celebrate

Now I can finally get some sleep.

10. manychitlens

manychitlens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California

I had to laugh out loud at this. It is so something my husband would have done in the past! When I got pregnant with our first I got crazy about the thermostat. I would get hot, then freezing cold. I used to make him get up over and over to change the dang thing. LOL! I think somehow in there (and with the 3 pregnancies after that) I managed to train him to ask me each and every time he felt the need to change the temp. Now we have a fancy thermostat that I can control with my phone, from the comfort of wherever Im sitting. Best investment I've made so far. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by