grannys gone and done it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did the chicks come from granny? Did a hen hatch them outside and leave them? Was the eggs left from when you had your Egyptians? Seems like you got rid of them quite awhile ago. Sorry I'm confused. Hope you have a great day today!
1f337.png
1f338.png
1f33a.png
1f337.png

they are from my Egyptians yes, must of got rid them about 21 days ago. a bantam took them and started sitting. along with one more i put in there that is EE / crested cream legbar. all these chickens i got rid of. now i have them back.

Big day here at the "farm." I put the polish babies out in the grass for the whole day. In a big dog crate with chicken wire wrapped around it. I think they enjoyed it.

Then the broody indeed took the babies out in the yard. But tonight she's roosting with the flock. Is that normal? The babies didn't seem distressed. I guess I'll see if she's tending them tomorrow, or if she's over it.

And I got the bathroom cleaned, top to bottom, with soap and water. Changed all the bedding, scrubbed all the feeders/waterers. Then I banded, photographed, and documented each of the 20 brooder babies. I was trying to tell pullet from roo, but it's still not clear to me. I just feel like at 5 weeks I should know. Guess I'll give it another month. I'd rather feed roos for another month than sell pullets on accident.

Brooder will be here Monday. Tractor could be finished any day. Cooking lunch for 75 this Saturday.

Hi everyone, just stopped in for a visit. Glad to hear that your feeling better today Granny girl
1f604.png
sorry to hear that your darling grandson lost his little buddy. So eggciting that he now has replacements. I just loaded the Bator's on Sat. with 53 eggs and found out I had a new broody that day as well :woot woot, have been waiting and hoping I would have a girl go broody for me. She has been sitting strong since Sat night. Hubby had just completed a broody cage the weekend before, but I hadn't moved her yet out of fear that she would quit on me. Went out to take her off the nest for her break time mid morning and when I got in the coop she wasn't on the nest. I'm thinking one of the other ladies forced her off the nest. She is lowest ranking hen and occasionally a few of my other hens will do that to her. 2 others had layed in her nestbox and she was rock solid in the top nesting box. Her eggs were still warm in the lower nest. I moved her and her eggs into the new broody cage. On Sat. I will give her 6 fertile eggs from the incubator for her to brood. I'm pretty certain hers aren't fertile. I will candle them on Sat. and toss them if they aren't fertile. I call this gal big momma, she is a Cochin/EE cross. I not even certain how old she is. I got her tossed in with a trade I had made with someone last summer. She had never even layed a egg for me until 2 month ago. The person said she layed green eggs and she does.

Hope everything is going well for everyone. Thank you all for taking such good care of granny girl. Glad you were able to get some assistance with bill and food granny. I'm sure you are resting a little easier now. Was your daughter & family qualify for help as well? I sure hope so!

wow Camping ! busy day and such cute pictures. I love the big black hens with the little white chicks. It makes for a pretty picture. cooking for 75 ?
barnie.gif
makes my feet hurt thinking about it. Lisa, very good to hear from you. all is well here now. thanks to ol mare . daughter loving her new job. AND I have a little bit of good news. went for a ride w/ son and his friend and ended up at an animal shelter. If you remember when my son lost his therapy cat ? he has found a new friend ! for $9. he got a korat. its a bit of different cat. she is one yr. spayed, shots wormed rabies. the whole nine yards. hypoallergenic to a point and very pretty. she is like the russian blue. he refused to have his picture done with her at the shelter, refused to put her in a box. she curled up in his lap and slept the whole way home. about an hr. oh, and she is chipped. bad timing , good deal. i hope this keeps him for another 15 yrs. or so.

Then the broody indeed took the babies out in the yard. But tonight she's roosting with the flock. Is that normal? The babies didn't seem distressed. I guess I'll see if she's tending them tomorrow, or if she's over it.
My most recent broody started showing signs of being over it at about 4 weeks. She would go in at night and hop up to the roost with the rest of the flock and settle right in but the babies would cry and whine until, eventually, she gave in and went back to the spot she'd been nesting with them on the floor of the coop. Did your broody stay up there the whole night? Once she stopped sleeping with them she cut back her daytime devotion as well - she'd still step in if someone was getting out of hand with one of the kids for about a week, and tolerated them sticking close to her, but after that time she was just another flock member when it came to how she reacted to them.

Hi everyone, just stopped in for a visit. Glad to hear that your feeling better today Granny girl
1f604.png
sorry to hear that your darling grandson lost his little buddy. So eggciting that he now has replacements. I just loaded the Bator's on Sat. with 53 eggs and found out I had a new broody that day as well
woot.gif
woot,
Wow - you're going to be swimming in littles! Good luck on both hatches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom