grannys gone and done it

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granny hatchet, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    Seriously??? You don't suppose canibus use is involved? is that another northwest coast port city I can't keep them straight.

2. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Weird thing is, when I was a kid, we had an adult hen that started crowing after the flock rooster got killed by a neighbor's dog. Case of nature abhors a vacuum, I guess. Her crow was pretty good, but was definitely not rooster quality, and she didn't do the early morning crowing either.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    LOL - that must be Seattle you're thinking of -----that said, just because it isn't legal doesn't mean it isn't an issue in Portland, Portland has plenty of "unique individuals", lol Funny story, on my recent trip back to Oregon to visit my family I had a plane change in Chicago. I texted my DH from the gate after finding my connection and said, "Made it (delays had cut my layover by more than half, so I'd been worried about that) - I know I'm at the right gate because the people here waiting LOOK like they belong in Portland" -- being a Portland native born and raised, DH got that. (note - not a slam on Oregon or PDX, lived there and loved it, but if you've been there you know it has a particular vibe/reputation, lol)

4. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    LOL we are a unique bunch in the Great Pacific Northwest but that is in Pennsylvania.
    I have a hen in my flock that doesn't have a Rooster and will jump up on a stump sometimes in the morning and crow with the Roosters in the other flock. But that Rooster at the rescue is obviously a Rooster.

5. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I have a hen that is prolapsed I tryed to get it to go back in but it won't stay in even after standing there for awhile with my finger in a chickens Butt and my husband thinking I'm loosing it. It still comes back out. [​IMG] I but plenty of Vaseline on it. If given some time will it go back in on its own?

6. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Sorry about your hen, Suzierd. I've heard that they can go back in if not too big. One of my hens had a bad prolapse this spring. I didn't have any success fixing it.

7. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Try putting a little Prep H on it to help with the swelling. Sprinkle turmeric (the yellow spice in your pantry!) over her food to combat inflammation from the inside, too.

MrsB

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  8. manychitlens

manychitlens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Northern California
    Suzierd, so sorry about your girl. I hope she is able to recover! :( Too funny about the Transgender chicken, LOL!!! Sorry honey, that gal is definitely a guy. :)

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Obviousy a cross dresser!

:lau

1 person likes this.
  10. Suzierd

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks everyone I will try the PH and the Turmeric.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by