"Grating" instead of dicing or slicing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1234duck, Sep 4, 2011.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Fresh grown Veggies such as Zucchini & squash, is it small enough for ducks to eat if you grate them with the cheese grater instead of dicing them? Also is the watermelon rinds ok to grate? Thanks ~Julie~

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I would say its ok, I diced some squash up and my hens looked like they wanted it but they werent able to eat it cause it was to big. Shreding would be beters.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have a microplane that I use for cucumbers and zucchini and most other things they will eat.
    Watermelon - I toss out the entire thing and they pick it right down to what they won't eat of the rind.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    When my runners were young, I would chop everything REALLY small. I'd give the chickens big pieces or even whole squash etc. Then the runners started taking the whole squash from them. The runners figured out that they could pick up a large piece of veggie, shake their heads hard to the side and tear off a piece big enough to eat. It was funny, veggies would be flying around the backyard. I stopped chopping until I had ducklings again. It was so much easier, I could just open the back door and throw whatever I had out back. I did have to start putting some in the chicken's run so that they were able to get some since the ducks were such pigs. [​IMG]

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I just cut zucchini in half longways and they eat it that way.

6. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I used the cheese grater for some zucchini & watermelon rinds, it worked out well it was much faster than dicing and slicing. The main thing i worry about is them choking. I also used the carrot peeler and removed the skin from the zucchini. The watermelon rinds i grated down till i reached the green part. ~Should I "Include" the skin/outer part of the veggies when grating? Thanks, ~Julie~

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    zucchini, yellow squash, cucumber skin is fine

I figure if I can eat the skin, they can too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by