Grazing Frame - Fodder Table Box - Continuously Grow Fodder & Seedlings & Sprouts For Chickens

That's really good feedback / info!

I'm wondering if I should build two 2x4 frames: One that is the bottom part and filled with good soil, then the 2nd one stacked on top that has the mesh. I wonder if that would raise it high enough that they couldn't kick all the "stuff" in the yard onto / into it. Heck, I even have some old 2x6's I could use for the bottom part.

Basically a small raised bed :)

I’m still working on getting the hardware cloth on the fodder frames. I am using small galvanized nails to tighten it up like a drum skin so when my fat hens walk on it it won’t sag too much. I decided to make two them 4’x8’ instead on one 8’x8’ so it’s easier to open the top and work underneath. I am adding hinges to the back so I can just lift the top like a lid and prop up with a 2x4 kickstand on each side so no hens get smashed while I’m working.

I don't know much about growing grains, fodder, etc., but I will say this:

I'm SHOCKED that the seeds I planted months ago are still growing and providing bits for my girls to nibble on.

I'm assuming it's the red-wheat that just keeps going and going and going...

I thought for sure it would have died-off after a couple of months so I could then open up the top, let my girls finish off the scraps, and then move the bed to a better location and raise it a little bit.

... but it just keeps going strong with no signs of slowing down.

:confused:

Do you let them at it all the time?
So far, yes. :)

That's the beauty of how (it's supposed to) work: They can only eat / access the tops of the seedlings, so the plant "should" keep growing for a bit without getting pulled / dug-up at the roots if they had full access to the dirt.

Updates!

Here's the frame as I often find it with leaves, mulch, and poop on it:

1607714789125.png

Here's without the top on:

1607714816693.png

@Nifty-Chicken Sorry if you've mentioned this already, but I'm wondering if you've noticed if your chickens have a preference for a certain type of plant/sprout. Do they like the wider leaves of the sunflowers? I am excited to try this!...But I have to wait a few months for 26 inches of snow to melt!
Great quesiton!

Honestly, I don't know yet. I should plant a small "crop" in a small container indoors, let it grow for a week or two, then put it out and watch carefully to see what they go after the most!

Back
Top Bottom