Grazing Frame - Fodder Table Box - Continuously Grow Fodder & Seedlings & Sprouts For Chickens

Deer Food Plot Mix is

1F9D0326-1E70-414C-A924-E86723F11CBC.jpeg

281BE341-8526-434E-BD1E-054302647FC8.jpeg

Nice day out today, so I let the girls have some direct access to the sprouts. You can see the areas they've been kicking up the mulch onto the plants.
chicken-sprouts1.jpg

As an experiment, I decided to rake up some of that area, pull out the mulch, and drop in some new seeds:

chicken-sprouts2.jpg

I think after this experiment, I'll give them full-access to the inside, let them have their fill for a few days, then raise the frame up about 6+ inches to see if that helps with the mulch covering.

I guess I could also pull out some of the mulch we added to the run. :idunno

Update:

This has been (mostly) going really well! Luckily I live in a climate where I can have this going during the Winter. I haven't been watering it much (or at all) the last month or so.

The biggest issue is the height and that we have a lot of mulch in the run. So, I still need to either make the frame taller or remove mulch.

... that said, it's still manageable / easy to dump the mulch off the top (since the top frame is so easy to lift off).

Here it is with a few weeks' worth of mulch on top:
grazing-frame1.jpg

... and the top removed.

All the growth on the right is still from the original seeds I planted 3 months ago in November. You'll see all the sunflowers are gone.

To the left is the mix of old growth and newer growth from when I removed a bunch of mulch that fell through, and where I dropped in a bunch of seeds.

grazing-frame2.jpg

Yikes - apologies - newbie's error! Just realized that my post below is crashing the party. I only noticed the second half of the title of the thread... sorry.
===============================

Thought I'd share some beginner's luck and joy with indoor fodder as well!

I came to BYC for info/advice after noticing that our chooks seemed to be having "eating disorder" - not eating the feed after we switched to layer feed. Like a new mom trying to feed her new babies, I had to try everything I learned from BYC forum! Fodder, of course, is one of them - what can be a better treat than green grass to the chooks when their foraging area is entirely covered by snow?!

I bought a 5 lb bag wheat seeds, started trying about 3 weeks ago. After initial success with stacked up home made plastic trays by the sink, I bought a sprouting cart. Since my volume is quite small, the cart is perfect for my need, and very convenient, ($23 for the cart, it came with shelves and 4 trays). Happy to report that I now have a pipeline going in the house! I can wheel the cart anywhere, e.g. from the kitchen for watering and then to the sunny foyer for growth). I water the trays twice a day.

Here are some photos:

Day 1: soak 3/4 cup of seeds for 12 hours
Day 2-3: wrap the soaked seeds in wet paper towel, put in a plastic container and store in the oven for 48 hours. (night of Day 3, start soaking for the next batch, and repeat)
Day 4-5: move the sprouted seeds to two plastic containers (e.g. 1 lb strawberries plastic packaging boxes are perfect, cut off the top and bottom to make two half trays), covered with wet paper towel. (two half-trays fit into one shelf)
Day 6-8: remove the paper towel when the green leaves are showing, the leaves literally grow one inch each day. (very gratifying to see them grow!)
Day 9 - 10: ready to feed. (one half-tray for each day)

On average, the grass is about 5-6 inches tall when I harvest. 1 cup of wheat seeds weighs around 200g. A 5lb bag can last up to 24 days to a month. (150-200g every other day).

Attachments

• IMG_9096.jpg
    IMG_9096.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9097.jpg
    IMG_9097.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9098.jpg
    IMG_9098.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9099.jpg
    IMG_9099.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9100.jpg
    IMG_9100.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9165.jpg
    IMG_9165.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9166.jpg
    IMG_9166.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9057.MOV.jpg
    IMG_9057.MOV.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I love a good experiment!
I can't promise it will be "good", but hopefully it will be fun and productive ;)

Why the ACV...to fight mold??
I've read a lot of places that say to use it or (smaller amounts) of bleach to kill bad stuff and/or increase viability / probability of sprouting. I'm not 100% convinced, so that's why I'm testing without it as well.

Back
Top Bottom